The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

3.9.1 crashing after Snow comes and goes Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So, I upgraded to the white cat. One vital bit of software broke, so I reverted to just the plain cat. I'm now running 10.5.8.
Outliner is crashing after 4 seconds.
I've re-installed several times, no luck.
I'm now running the Beta of 3.9.2 and it's working for the moment.

I'm not sure if I'm asking for help, more of a FYI. I sent the error report to Omni tech support via email.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Outliner is crashing after 4 seconds.
I've re-installed several times, no luck.
Same experience. (10.5 - Snow is just a coincidence, I think).

This post explains that it occurs with dual display machines on which Preferences > Updates > Check for updates > Include System Information has been checked.

The current workaround is either to un-check this option, run on a single display system, or run the 3.9.2 beta.

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
This post explains that it occurs with dual display machines on which Preferences > Updates > Check for updates > Include System Information has been checked.
I believe it is more subtle than that -- you need to have multiple display adapters, not just multiple displays. So a MacBook with an external display cabled up won't suffer from this, for example (for which I am glad!) Sounds like someone's code to walk down the chain of adapters might have had a bad pointer dereference or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
you need to have multiple display adapters, not just multiple displays. So a MacBook with an external display cabled up won't suffer from this,
Subtle indeed. An ordinary MacBook Pro with an external display cabled up will suffer from this (as I quickly discovered) if it is one of those models which (like my MacBookPro5,1) contains two adaptors and allows you to choose by setting the following option in System Preferences > Energy saver.

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2009-09-08 at 02:37 PM..

Hmmm. Mine is set on the better battery life...
I'm using the Beta now with no problems...
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Hmmm. Mine is set on the better battery life...
Yes - the option allows you to select the adaptor with the larger video RAM. Just having a twin adaptor model was enough to trip the bug.

i had this crash on a MacBook Pro 13", which has a single GeForce 9400m display adapter, when a second display was attached

Everybody who is experiencing this issue, please upgrade to the 3.9.2 beta and see if it fixes the issue. Alternatively, you can disable System Information in the Update pane of the Preferences panel.

But please, try the beta first. :)