The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

changing "due date" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Say I have a few items due today that don't get done. Is there a way to automate changing the due date to the next day? I think I've seen something on this but can't find it.

Quickest way I know of would be to select them all, and put "tomorrow" or "1d" in the Due box on the Actions Inspector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas42 View Post
Say I have a few items due today that don't get done. Is there a way to automate changing the due date to the next day? I think I've seen something on this but can't find it.
Which means that they really were not due today. This is a fundamental element of GTD, and fighting it results in the sort of problem that you are having. IOW, you are using OF outside the design spec. Future versions of OF may be more compatible with needs of the non-GTD user, but this is the way things are now.

Ideas that may help:
  • Create some milestone placeholder tasks in your project. That way, if due dates do change, you only have to move the milestone tasks and not everything else.
  • Track the project due date in your calendar, and not in OF. Use your regular reviews to flag project tasks that must be completed to meet a looming deadline.
  • As a part of your weekly review, be honest with yourself and those with whom you have made promises. Be realistic about what you can reasonably complete; renegotiate and reschedule hard due dates as necessary. It is counterproductive to set (or agree to) unrealistic due dates, and the sooner you responsibly deal with this issue the better things will be for you and your "clients." The review process is critical to any GTD system - and OF assumes that you are doing this.

Wow, I think yucca's reply may have just made me stop using OmniFocus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InAccuFacts View Post
Or perhaps it might prompt you to look into GTD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InAccuFacts View Post
yucca has some good things to say on these forums, and I largely agree with his comments, but if OmniFocus was working for you before, what difference does it make what yucca says or doesn't say (or anyone else, for that matter)?

If using OmniFocus your way works, then keep doing things your way!

Although, I also personally think the GTD approach to due dates makes the most sense.