The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Sorting Tasks Within a Project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This appears to be working in our tests, but you may be seeing an edge case that we missed. It may help for you to include some screenshots of what you are seeing in an email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com.

(You can take a screenshot by pressing command-shift-4, which will give you a selection cursor. Tap your Space key, click on the window you want to capture, and when you release the mouse the image will be saved to your desktop as 'Picture 1', 'Picture 2', etc.)

You can then drag the images to an email message and send them to us. We'll use the information they contain to try and figure out what's going on here.

This works but I don't think it is the best solution. I don't see why the sort function should not be available in the Planning mode as well as the Context mode. This would allow the OmniFocus user to sort any project in the Planning mode by Start Date or Due Date, for example. The lack of this functionality seems to me to be a significant omission from an otherwise easy to use and intuitive interface. Any chance that SORTING could be added to the Planning mode at some future date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarber1 View Post
This works but I don't think it is the best solution. I don't see why the sort function should not be available in the Planning mode as well as the Context mode. This would allow the OmniFocus user to sort any project in the Planning mode by Start Date or Due Date, for example. The lack of this functionality seems to me to be a significant omission from an otherwise easy to use and intuitive interface. Any chance that SORTING could be added to the Planning mode at some future date?
It is available as Edit->Sort->(bunch of choices) in the 1.1 sneaky peek versions. Select a bunch of actions, then make your selection, and it will sort them. It gets a little bit of use, but I don't have many projects where it is necessary or desirable to do so. Mostly I use it to sort the projects in the sidebar, or sort parallel projects/single-action lists for ease of scanning. Maybe I'm just lucky, as my projects tend to only have one practical order (or the order doesn't matter) and so sort by start/due date in project mode is just an occasional convenience instead of a necessity for me. I'm always interested in hearing about different ways that people use the tools we've been given so far, especially when one person says "I can't live without feature X!" and another says "eh, why would you ever need feature X?" so feel free to enlighten me :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
This appears to be working in our tests, but you may be seeing an edge case that we missed. It may help for you to include some screenshots of what you are seeing in an email to omnifocus@omnigroup.com.

(You can take a screenshot by pressing command-shift-4, which will give you a selection cursor. Tap your Space key, click on the window you want to capture, and when you release the mouse the image will be saved to your desktop as 'Picture 1', 'Picture 2', etc.)

You can then drag the images to an email message and send them to us. We'll use the information they contain to try and figure out what's going on here.
Hi Brian,

I am having the same issue. When I view projects in planning mode, it doesn't allow me to use any of the sorting features at all. I switch between sorting options and nothing happens. I believe this used to work? I could swear it did, I sort by date constantly. I am using SneakyPeak 1.1 v77.10.0.104904. I don't have anything grouped. I am simply trying to sort single actions by a due date within a single project.

Here's a screenshot (of course I blurred out client info)

Please help! Is this a bug or a feature that has not been implemented. Knowing will help me to plan accordingly.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot Omni.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	711  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgiGirl View Post
Hi Brian,

I am having the same issue. When I view projects in planning mode, it doesn't allow me to use any of the sorting features at all. I switch between sorting options and nothing happens. I believe this used to work? I could swear it did, I sort by date constantly. I am using SneakyPeak 1.1 v77.10.0.104904. I don't have anything grouped. I am simply trying to sort single actions by a due date within a single project.

Here's a screenshot (of course I blurred out client info)

Please help! Is this a bug or a feature that has not been implemented. Knowing will help me to plan accordingly.
It is neither a bug nor a feature that has not been implemented. The sort in the view bar when in project mode sorts projects, not actions. It has always been so. In context mode, it sorts actions.

If you wish to make a permanent change to the order of the actions in a project, select the actions, then use Edit->Sort... to choose how you want them sorted. That will reorder the actions according to your sort choice, just as if you had dragged them one by one. This only works with the sneaky peek versions of 1.1; it was not in the original release of 1.0.

Hi whpalmer

Thanks for the reply!

Actually what you recommended does not work. Edit Sort does not allow me to sort actions, by name, by due date, by anything in project mode. I am using the latest version of sneaky peak as well. Sent the Omni group a series of screenshots to document this. Again, when in project mode, I select the individual actions, go to Edit > Sort. None of the sorting features are working for me, although I believe they used to.

In this case I believe this would be a bug, works for you, not for me :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgiGirl View Post
Hi whpalmer

Thanks for the reply!

Actually what you recommended does not work. Edit Sort does not allow me to sort actions, by name, by due date, by anything in project mode. I am using the latest version of sneaky peak as well. Sent the Omni group a series of screenshots to document this. Again, when in project mode, I select the individual actions, go to Edit > Sort. None of the sorting features are working for me, although I believe they used to.

In this case I believe this would be a bug, works for you, not for me :)
I'm not sure how a screenshot would definitively show that you invoked the command correctly/successfully, only that the display didn't change. I'm not saying you are doing it wrong, just pointing out that the command not working isn't the only solution that fits the constraints.

It's possible to download past sneaky peeks from http://www.omnigroup.com/application...ad/sneakypeek/ -- have you tried going part of the way down the list and seeing if an older version behaves any differently? I just tried out a handful of the Edit->Sort options, and they all did the right thing for me with the most recent few versions. You aren't accidentally selecting the sidebar before doing the sort, are you? Does using Edit->Sort work to sort your sidebar? If you have multiple projects selected in the sidebar and the sidebar has the focus, you wouldn't necessarily see anything change in the main pane after Edit->Sort...

In any case, it should be obvious that my interpretation of your original post was that you were referring to the Sort options in the view bar, not the Edit->Sort menu. I must be losing my marbles, as I also gave someone on the iPhone forum directions that only work on the Mac version :-)

Hi, well when I sent the screenshots, I was able to take the screenshot as I selected EDIT > sort. So it shows the outcome (the field with the actions) and the action I was making (selecting edit > sort > whatever option) all in the same screen.

I just went to the sneaky peak page, and the oldest build I could DL was only from 2 days ago. Same issue. So then I downloaded v 1.0.3 from the main page. This version couldn't read my database - "created by a newer version of OF." So dead end there.

Here is a step by step...
• In planning view, I have a folder.
• Within the folder, I have multiple projects.
• These multiple projects do not have start or due dates assigned to the project as a whole, I only assign start and due dates to the individual actions.
• I select one project, from the left sidebar.
• When I select that project, the individual actions for this project display in the main window.
• I then select / highlight all of those actions
• I select edit > sort. None of the sorting options work. My displayed actions do not resort at all. Boo hoo.

The sorting for the sidebar works – for "active" "remaining" etc.

In the main action window, sorting by groups, actions that are remaining etc., duration and flag state all work. The "sort projects by" menu is the only issue.

Thanks for taking the time to try to "sort" this out ha ha ;)

Carolyn

Carolyn,

I gave it my best shot, but I couldn't find a way to trick the servers at Omni or ExtremeSims into coughing up an older version. I also tried building a sample project inside a folder instead of in the top level of the library, just to see if that might be the crucial difference, but it worked fine there as well, following your recipe. Tis a puzzlement!

A couple of long-shot things you might try: moving your preferences file aside, or creating a new user on your computer and building a small test database. Did you try the File->Rebuild Database command? I'm not terribly optimistic about the prospects of any of these, but it's only 4:20 AM in FL right now, the night is still young :-)

Bill

Awwww you are so great! Thanks for even looking into this – I really appreciate your brainstorming. I am in FL too BTW. I am going to try out everything you suggested and will get back to you, probably after a cup of coffee lol.