The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Sorting Tasks Within a Project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The rebuild did the trick!! Whooo hoooo! Thank you so much :) :) :)

As an update to my early AM post (yawn) I am now able to sort actions (edit > sort) with the rebuild, but I will say to the OmniCrew that the Filter View Bar still does not work properly when in Planning Mode. In planning (project) mode, I can filter projects, I can group, I can choose status, duration and flag, but darn it, I can't sort. The view bar holds its own preferences between Planning and Context modes, so if this sorting ability wasn't meant to work in the planning view, it should be deleted from the View Bar. Although I would LOOOOVE for it to work. Can I throw in a vote to get that working?

Hmm. View bar sorting works fine for me in planning mode.

The attachments provide a couple of screenshots of my projects sorted by Name and by Start. I'm currently running build 104931.

(Edit: attachments removed because they were too small; inline images in the next post replace them.)

Last edited by brianogilvie; 2008-09-18 at 09:58 AM..

Well, those attachments are practically illegible. Here are more legible versions of the screenshots:

Sorted by name:

Sorted by start:

As you can see, some of my projects have been underway for a while--but they are active, I assure you!

Brian, you really ought to clean your screen one of these days -- look at those smudges on the screen shots! :-)

Hi Brian...

Thanks so much for your post!

I see your projects are sorting by the project itself... can you sort the actions WITHIN individual projects? That's where I have issues. I want to select a project, and sort the actions.

BTW I love the blurry screenshots :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgiGirl View Post
I see your projects are sorting by the project itself... can you sort the actions WITHIN individual projects? That's where I have issues. I want to select a project, and sort the actions.
For that, you need to use Edit->Sort. In project mode, the sort menu sorts projects, not actions, and that is by design.

And to be clear, you must first SELECT all the actions that you want to sort. Then use Edit --> Sort to reorder the selected actions.

Curt

Thanks everyone, I got it. No more blonde questions! lol

I still think it is a confusing UI though :) Thanks for everyone's help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorgiGirl View Post
Thanks everyone, I got it. No more blonde questions! lol

I still think it is a confusing UI though :) Thanks for everyone's help!
That's a legitimate comment, to be sure. How would you make it less confusing? Remember, you are making permanent changes when you sort the actions of a project, but sorting the display of a bunch of projects (or actions in context mode) wouldn't necessarily be something you would want to make permanent. For me, this business of sorting projects vs. actions is something where I initially had much the same reaction (confusion) but after understanding what is going on, I don't really have a suggestion for how to make it better.