The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Constant versioning wastes time Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdToday View Post
This *constant* versioning of the software runs completely counter to the goal of your users: simplify their life and reduce time.
Thanks for your patience! We agree, and we're finally done with the v1.5 sneaky peeks: we've now moved on to release candidates, which means you will no longer see any future "sneaky peek" updates (which can happen multiple times per day). In fact, our expectation is that you'll only see one more release of v1.5, the final GM build.

Once you're on the GM build of v1.5, you won't be prompted to update again until the next GM comes out. (Those who are interested in sneaky peek builds of the next release can choose to download a new sneaky peek build to get back on that track, but those who aren't interested won't have to worry about them.)

Once again, thanks for your patience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdToday View Post
The purpose of OF is to save me time.

Look, I have commended your company and your sofware in this forum. I know sync is inherently difficult and Apple hasn't helped. But my patience runs thin.

This *constant* versioning of the software runs completely counter to the goal of your users: simplify their life and reduce time.

*EVERY single time I open the program I am confronted with an update..often requiring a manual download and deletion of the old version.

You may say...oh you can turn that off...but then I know I may be subjected to bugs.

It is the developer's responsibility to provide a reasonable path of usage. Constant updates every time I open the app is making me sour on this tool.

Your very process...it's aking to violating the hypocratic oath of time management.
Don't sign up for alpha or beta releases if you don't expect updates often.

J.

To be fair to the OP, you had to sign up for the alphas/betas if you needed to be able to synch between your iPhone and your desktop. They evidently didn't realise that they could change the update schedule, but there was no way to avoid becoming a beta tester if you needed that functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
To be fair to the OP, you had to sign up for the alphas/betas if you needed to be able to synch between your iPhone and your desktop. They evidently didn't realise that they could change the update schedule, but there was no way to avoid becoming a beta tester if you needed that functionality.
The expectations of being a beta tester, and much more so for an alpha tester, is that you will not have a perfectly smooth experience. This is not exactly a new concept in the computing industry nor a new expectation. Not realizing it is hard to believe when each release note pops up after you down load it, refers to the Sneak Peak and that it is alpha software. At some point, one would have to be blind not to realize it.

Either way, if you decide that you *need* that functionality then you have a choice to make - be a beta tester with all that entails or wait. You don't get to be a beta tester and then have the expectations of a finished product.

That said, I've been amazed that the alpha/beta process goes as smoothly as it has - hats off to the developer for that.

J.

The only problem with "sneak peak" updates you take the risk of going backwards (bugs, breaks, lost data).

With Omni Focus, I have yet to have this happen. Great job with QA and producing a quality product.

Thanks,
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
The expectations of being a beta tester, and much more so for an alpha tester, is that you will not have a perfectly smooth experience. This is not exactly a new concept in the computing industry nor a new expectation. Not realizing it is hard to believe when each release note pops up after you down load it, refers to the Sneak Peak and that it is alpha software. At some point, one would have to be blind not to realize it.
I think what was being referred to here is that it wasn't realized that you could change the frequency at which the software checked for updates to weekly instead of daily.
Quote:

Either way, if you decide that you *need* that functionality then you have a choice to make - be a beta tester with all that entails or wait. You don't get to be a beta tester and then have the expectations of a finished product.

That said, I've been amazed that the alpha/beta process goes as smoothly as it has - hats off to the developer for that.
Complete agreement with both of these paragraphs! I had a moment very early on where I questioned my sanity in moving forward to the sneaky peeks (completely unnecessary for me, having no mobile handheld to sync) after I encountered a regression that caused OF to crash on launch every time, but Maestro Tim jumped on the bug immediately and I was only out of action for half a day or so.