The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What should I do about "Client has not been synced" warnings? [Fixed: see thread] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The client "bender" has not been recently synchronized.
I know. I don't care. I sync OmniFocus across 4 Macs and one iPhone. Two of those are laptops and are not always on. But I need to keep them registered so they're good to go when I use them.

I understand it can slow down syncs. I don't care. I just grow very tired of the nag screens.

Is there a way to turn them off? I can't find anything in the Prefs.

Sync the things once a week and you won't have the complaints. Or are you saying that these machines go more than a week without being on?

If you have a client that you really don't expect to use for a while, you could simply delete its registration (after syncing it, of course). Then when you need it, turn sync back on and when it complains that the files don't appear to match any longer, be sure to select the server or remote copy.

There's no readily apparent means to change that warning interval. Use Help->Send Feedback to request one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Sync the things once a week and you won't have the complaints. Or are you saying that these machines go more than a week without being on?
That's what I'm saying.

Quote:
If you have a client that you really don't expect to use for a while, you could simply delete its registration (after syncing it, of course). Then when you need it, turn sync back on and when it complains that the files don't appear to match any longer, be sure to select the server or remote copy.
I guess I'll have to try that. It's not ideal, but it'll do.

Quote:
There's no readily apparent means to change that warning interval. Use Help->Send Feedback to request one.
I will. I don't even want to change the interval, I just want the "ignore" button to *actually* ignore it and stop telling me about it.

We keep bugging you because until those older client files are removed by a later sync or by nuking them, your sync database won't compact. We keep all the transaction files around all the way back to the least recent sync so we can insert transactions from that machine when it eventually does.

Those extra files make every sync for the machines that *are* synching take longer. If someone that doesn't understand what's going on selected a perma-ignore option, they'd create a situation where their synchs eventually became unbearable; they'd blame OmniFocus, not the checkbox they clicked in the Ignore dialog three months ago.

I'm pretty sure we have a feature request open for nagging less frequently, though; send the ninjas an email if you'd like to add your voice to it.

Last edited by Brian; 2009-01-14 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: clarification and nit-pickery

Fwiw, my real world experience of this issue occurred over the holiday period where I was away from my desktop for 3 weeks - once I got back, because it hadn't been synched to my Desktop for such a long time, my OmniFocus database on my iDisk had ballooned from a few kb to over 8MB in size and synching took forever. I actually thought it had corrupted so after the first synch, I ended up nuking my database on my iPhone, compacting the desktop database and going through the rigamarole of posting it back to my iDisk and setting up my iPhone again. Of course, it wasn't until afterwards that I read on the forums that this wasn't necessary and the way to 'solve' it was to allow both desk and iPhone to synch and repeat it again within an hour so that the compacting would be performed automatically...

This happens to me on what seems to be a daily basis. I get a notice saying it's been so long since my last sync of a client. It always happens when I'm trying to type and really bugs me. If I don't want to sync my device (iPhone) I shouldn't have to. I hate this warning. Please sort it out.

Well, why don't you just sync the device in question? Doing so once per week will keep that warning away. Or, if you don't plan to do that, go to the Sync preferences and delete the device until such time that you want it to be synced (though you'll lose any outstanding changes on the device if you don't sync first). I'm not sure what the point of having your data on your iPhone more than a week out of date would be...

I think we've had some discussions of moving the "hey, it's been a while" to the start of the app, rather than when we try to sync. Of course, if we changed that, the folks that never quit OmniFocus would never see the notice. I guess we could pop it up if folks tried to sync manually, but some folks never do that, either.

It's a tough one. On the one hand, folks are annoyed by slow syncs. We don't care about the out-of-date info on that one device - what we care about is the fact that all the devices that they are syncing are taking longer to do so until it gets caught up.

However, this thread is evidence that telling folks why their syncs are slowing down (in this manner, at least) annoys them, too. Worse, the message isn't effective; folks don't understand how to stop it (or are choosing not to do so). Result: some folks are actually annoyed more frequently than if we did nothing. Not good.

It would be helpful if the folks that are hitting this message and are annoyed by it could let us know what would work better. Believe us - the goal here isn't to be annoying. :-)

Last edited by Brian; 2009-02-12 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: "here to be annoying here"? Really, me?

Thanks @OmniFocus for directing me to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I think we've had some discussions of moving the "hey, it's been a while" to the start of the app, rather than when we try to sync. Of course, if we changed that, the folks that never quit OmniFocus would never see the notice.
That works for me.

Quote:
It would be helpful if the folks that are hitting this message and are annoyed by it could let us know what would work better.
Your "thinking aloud" solution proposed above would work for me but it'll no doubt increase support requests from people who don't understand why their syncs are so slow.

1Password's unlock screen includes an option to store your master password in your login keychain. As soon as you enable this option, you're warned of the inherent security risk. You have to agree to this to continue. Might you consider a "don't remind me again" option that, when clicked, displays a warning about the consequences of continuing? Something concise and bold that's not easily ignored.

There are two hidden defaults which control how often OmniFocus complains about stale clients:

SyncStaleClientInterval (factory setting 604800 seconds, or one week) says how stale a client has to get before OmniFocus complains the first time.

SyncStaleClientComplaintInterval (factory setting 172800 seconds, or two days) says how frequently to remind the user after the first complaint.

So if you want your first warning after two weeks (instead of one), and subsequent reminders every four weeks (instead of two days), try entering these commands in a Terminal window:

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus SyncStaleClientInterval -float 1209600
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus SyncStaleClientComplaintInterval -float 2419200
After you've done this, restart OmniFocus so it notices the new settings, and you'll be warned much less frequently!