The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can I boolean search in OF ??? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Guys :

I just checked this on the forum and didn't get to see anything specific on the subject ... also read the manual, same results ... it seems that other "GTD" tools do it somehow (smart folders and stuff), but nothing related to OF ...

I know perspectives can be very helpfull to combine different "criteria" on a search (very GTD) but, my question is this :

- Can I simply search in OF doing AND / ORs between things I need to find in my next actions (or their notes) ?

I know I can use regular expressions, but that doesn't seem to cover simple ANDs/ ORs ....

It this a "missing feature" ?

Saludos
AM

Smart folders with boolean searches are planned for v2.0. (They're much easier to implement in Leopard, but v1.x still supports Tiger.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken case View Post
smart folders with boolean searches are planned for v2.0.
yay! :-)

@Ken Case: So are smart folders replacing perspectives or being added to existing capabilities?

@amg: As for doing boolean searches now, maybe try finding your items via Spotlight, which already provides support for boolean searches?

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
@amg: As for doing boolean searches now, maybe try finding your items via Spotlight, which already provides support for boolean searches?

-Dennis
Thanks Ken / Toadling !!!!!

Ken : I totally understand smart folders complications to justify them for 2.0 timeframe ... but (pardon my ignorance) : isn't boolean search something simpler (without smart folders, I mean) ??

Toadling : sadly, spotlight provides a "one document match" (that is "this WHOLE database has a match to your search of A & B search") ... but I don't see how can I get more granular than that !

Saludos
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg View Post
sadly, spotlight provides a "one document match" (that is "this WHOLE database has a match to your search of A & B search") ... but I don't see how can I get more granular than that !
Hmm, that's not what I'm seeing. On Leopard, it looks like OmniFocus supports Spotlight searches down to the project level.

For example, I type in a search string in the Finder like this: Chad AND Apache. The Spotlight results then contain all projects in my OmniFocus database that contain the terms "Chad" and "Apache". Double-clicking on one of the "metadata stubs" in Finder opens a new OmniFocus window focused on that project. I can then search from within OmniFocus to narrow the results down to specific actions.

It's maybe not as elegant as being able to do boolean searches entirely within the app, but it might be enough to hold you over until v2.0 surfaces.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
@Ken Case: So are smart folders replacing perspectives or being added to existing capabilities?
We're still figuring that out ourselves. We'll have to get a little further along before we'll know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg View Post
Ken : I totally understand smart folders complications to justify them for 2.0 timeframe ... but (pardon my ignorance) : isn't boolean search something simpler (without smart folders, I mean) ??
The smart folders are actually the easy bit: we already use smart folders internally to represent things like the Inbox and the "No Context" list.

The harder part is that Leopard provides a standard interface to build up boolean searches, and we can't use that interface unless we require Leopard. We didn't want to require Leopard in OmniFocus v1.x, so we decided to wait for v2.0.

You seem determined to get me to move over to Leopard full-time :-)

I'm curious what the Omni software update code reports for the breakdown of Tiger vs. Leopard users for the products that still support both. Do you have a feel for how many of your new customers are new Mac users as well? I was struck by Don McAllister's "where are all the Mac users?" comment on the MacRoundTable page. I think the Omni products make a compelling reason for switching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I'm curious what the Omni software update code reports for the breakdown of Tiger vs. Leopard users for the products that still support both.
http://update.omnigroup.com/

If I am reading it correctly, 94% of OmniFocus users (that submit their software update details) are already on Leopard.