The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Single actions can't be put on hold? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It seems that when I put a Single Action on hold, all other actions in that list of single actions disappear from the active list. Since half of my tasks are in a Miscellaneous single action list, that creates a certain amount of chaos. Why can't single actions be put on hold? Conceptually, why should only projects and lists of single actions be able to be put on hold?

You can place individual actions on hold by postponing them, i.e. by assigning a future start date to them.

I recently reported this as a "bug"; it arises out of the differences between a "single action" and a "project". There's no way to put a single action on hold; assigning a "future start date" to them isn't putting it on hold, it's putting it into a Pending state, which is different (pending comes back on the date; on hold stays away until I say otherwise).

Please please please treat single actions like first class citizens.

(I know, I know, a gazillion other threads on the whole single-aren't-projects already exist. Sorry. It's a pet peeve I have with OmniFocus.)

Just so I'm offerring more than griping, I should point out that you can turn that single action into a project and put that project on hold; just select the action, press command-control-left arrow (or command-[). The action will now appear in your projects list.

If you had a future date associated with the action, it might appear that it was deleted; it's not, just hidden; check your Projects filter, it should appear under Pending.

I'm confused. What's a "single action"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I'm confused. What's a "single action"?
Select a project and look at the Project inspector. There is a "This is a list of single actions" checkbox. If you check it the icon for the project changes and all the actions within the "Project" become special (blue) next actions.

Curt

I understand that, but it's not clear to me that's what Jason is talking about. (It's probably what the OP was talking about, I see now.) You can certainly put single-action projects on hold. And you can't put any actions on hold (which I think makes sense), you can only put projects on hold.

So maybe I just don't understand this thread, or what Jason means when he says he wants single actions to be treated as first-class citizens :-).

You can set up two single-action-lists, one is active and one is on hold ("Miscellaneous" and "Miscellaneous on hold"). If you want to put a singleton-action on hold, just move it to the second folder.

Quote:
And you can't put any actions on hold (which I think makes sense)...
He doesn't agree - that's the point that's being made..

Quote:
I understand that, but it's not clear to me that's what Jason is talking about. (It's probably what the OP was talking about, I see now.) You can certainly put single-action projects on hold. And you can't put any actions on hold (which I think makes sense), you can only put projects on hold.

So maybe I just don't understand this thread, or what Jason means when he says he wants single actions to be treated as first-class citizens :-).
See this post: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...8&postcount=52