The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniShadow dead or what? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does anyone have OmniShadow working with the current OmniOutliner Pro and Tiger? The project Web page implies it works with Tiger but I can't get it to open any of my Shadow files or save any of my OO files. Even trying to select a Hotsync user under the prefs script fails to do anything (silently).

Background: Yesterday I was happily running my life out of an OmniOutliner Pro outline, synced to my Palm pilot w/ ShadowPlan. Today I got a new work machine with Tiger. My scripts menu was gone in OO so I upgraded OO and OmniShadow (later realizing the script menu disappearence was an unrelated thing having to do with Apple, I just had to flip a new pref to get it back).

Now nothing works. Try opening or saving an outline via OmniShadow, and it fails silently. No menu, no file selection dialog, nothing. I tried downgrading both OmniShadow and OO (saved my old OO, 3.0.4) but that doesn't work either -- same problems.

My life is in this outline. I can get it open, so this isn't a data loss issue, but I want to keep syncing it to my Palm. Is this possible?

Last edited by ryantate; 2007-12-07 at 01:40 PM..

ShadowPlan-Save still does not work but I got -Open and -Prefs working by deleting the old prefs file (~/Library/Preferences/omnishadow.pref), which contained references to my old hard drive, which had a different name from my new hard drive in this new Mac. OmniShadow must have been trying to read the file and choking.

ShadowPlan-Save is failing in a way that makes me think there is a bug in the new OmniOutliner Pro. It chokes here, at this line in ShadowPlan-Save, inside the funciton myGetOmniOutliner:

set Shadow_xsl to xsl transform ShadowPlugIn

Specifically, it dies at "xsl transform ShadowPlugIn" (this is what is highlighted after death whenever you run the script in Script Editor), with the error "OmniOutliner Professional got an error: NSReceiverEvaluationScriptError: 4".

(ShadowPlugIn is set to "ShadowPlan XML Export" (a plugin I know I have successfully installed because I can export in this format manually).)

I made a new script and tried to get it it to work using the literal name of the XSL filter, or even of one that ships with OO, for example both of the following failed with the same error as above:

set foo to xsl transform "HTML"
set foo to xsl transform "ShadowPlan XML Export"

And yet this syntax used to work, see

http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/arc...05/002456.html

where the guy successfully used the line

set htmlID to (id of xsl transform "HTML")

.... now this *exact same line* doesn't work.

So what gives, OmniGroup, was AppleScript dictionary for OO somehow broken in one of the recent releases, or is there some syntax change we should be aware of??

Last edited by ryantate; 2007-12-07 at 05:09 PM..

Hi Ryantate-

Try changing that to:

Code:
set htmlID to "com.omnigroup.OmniOutliner.SimpleHTMLExport/HTML"
This was changed at some point probably due for localization support and so you always get the export you want.

Last edited by DerekM; 2007-12-13 at 01:52 PM..

Derek, thank you, but yours doesn't seem to work:

tell application "OmniOutliner Professional"
set omnidoc to the document of the front window
set htmlID to "com.OmniOutliner.SimpleHTMLExport/HtML"
save omnidoc in "~/bar.html" as htmlID
end tell

Error dialog in OO: "OODocument: Don't know how to save type com.OmniOutliner.SimpleHTMLExport/HtML"

Same thing if I fix the capitalization of "HtML:"

set htmlID to "com.OmniOutliner.SimpleHTMLExport/HTML"
save omnidoc in "~/bar.html" as htmlID
end tell

"OODocument: Don't know how to save type com.OmniOutliner.SimpleHTMLExport/HTML"

Last edited by ryantate; 2007-12-12 at 01:28 PM..

In any case, what I actually want to export as is not HTML (that was for reducing to simplest case, a built-in export) but "ShadowPlan XML Export," using the installed (and working) plugin ShadowPlan.ooxsl, which worked in AppleScript under the prior version of Omni Outliner Professional I was using (3.0.4), running on OS X 10.3.9.

Like so:

set Shadow_xsl to xsl transform "ShadowPlan XML Export"

----------

OK, you can export like so:

For HTML:

export omnidoc to "~/foobars.html" as "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
end tell

For ShadowPlan:
export omnidoc to "~/foobar.xml" as "-//codejedi.com//DTD SHADOWPLAN 2.0//EN"
end tell

Obviously these are DTD strings as you'd find at the top of XHTML documents. To get one for an arbitrary plugin, go into ~/Library/Application Support/OmniOutliner 3/Plug-Ins/PLUGINDIR/Contents/Info.plist

... where PLUGINDIR is the plugin you are interested in. Open up Info.plist (double click will open in OmniOutliner which is easiest, but any text editor works), go (in XML or Outline) into OFRegistrations/OOXSLPlugin/PLUGINNAME/result and copy the value (where PLUGINNAME is the plugin you are interested in).

I am working on revising the OmniShadow/Save script but it looks like there are some other issues to work through now that I have export licked.

Last edited by ryantate; 2007-12-12 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: should be PLUGINNAME/result not PLUGINNAME/source

Oh wow, I fail sorry. I should learn to copy and paste. It should be

Code:
set htmlID to "com.omnigroup.OmniOutliner.SimpleHTMLExport/HTML"
Code:
id of every xsl transform
Will give you the names you can use.

Hi there,

Any update on "ShadowPlan-Save.scpt"?

I can run this file directly from the Script Editor without any problem. For some reason, though, I can't run it from the OmniOutliner toolbar itself (where I have heard that the script will process much more quickly).

When I try to run ShadowPlan-Save from the OO3 toolbar, something's causing an "AppleEvent timed out" error. (On the other hand, the "Prefs" script for OmniShadow works via the OO3 toolbar just fine.)

I can't figure out what exactly is causing this problem with "Save." I haven't done any edits to the latest version of the script that's available from the Shadow-discuss group, and I've been pretty careful with where I've put stuff.

Oh, just in case it's relevant: I've installed all of the components for OmniShadow in *both* places on my Powerbook: that is, I've put copies of the necessary files both in the Powerbook's top-level folder structure *and* in my user folder's structure. (I was trying to troubleshoot and I guess I got carried away.) The Palm user folder is in my home user folder.

Could the duplication of files be messing this up? Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help you can offer! I'd like to run the Save function from the Toolbar if at all possible, but this has stumped me.

OmniOutliner Pro 3.6.3
Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.11
Shadow 4.3.1