The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Suggestion: Sync Progress Meter Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have one suggestion I would like to throw out there...
How about a sync progress meter on OmniFocus for the desktop?

Something akin to the meter in Evernote or in Mail, the Activity status window.

It would be nice to know when OmniFocus is syncing and how far along it is.
Also, if it matched what is already present in Evernote an Mail it would match the overall UI, I guess this is part of the Leopard standard UI or something along that line...

This would keep me from closing OmniFocus in the middle of a sync and keep me posted on what OmniFocus is doing behind the scenes...

Well, in a way, there already is one. If you add the Sync icon to the toolbar, it spins during syncing, and stops (presumably when the syncing is done).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
I have one suggestion I would like to throw out there...
How about a sync progress meter on OmniFocus for the desktop?

Something akin to the meter in Evernote or in Mail, the Activity status window.

It would be nice to know when OmniFocus is syncing and how far along it is.
Also, if it matched what is already present in Evernote an Mail it would match the overall UI, I guess this is part of the Leopard standard UI or something along that line...

This would keep me from closing OmniFocus in the middle of a sync and keep me posted on what OmniFocus is doing behind the scenes...

We wanted to keep syncing unobtrusive, since it happens quite often (one minute after a modification to backup quickly and to make changes available to other clients quickly, and once and hour even if there haven't been local modifications, in case there are changes waiting that were provided by another client).

There is a progress meter in the Sync preferences pane, so if you have a long sync going on, you can check on the progress there. Hopefully syncs are usually quite brief; if you want to know when one is going on, you can do as Sandy suggested and configure the toolbar to show the Sync item, which rotates (slowly, to reduce visual distraction) while a sync is in-progress.

I added the sync icon to my toolbar... I thought I had already looked for that.

I think that will work for me, at least I will know when it is syncing.

I understand the thought behind keeping the UI unobtrusive.
Thanks for the explanation...

As long as the fixes implemented by the "Keeping iPhone Sync Speedy" script post is the norm, this is okay with me. But if we ever get back to the long sync times I was experiencing before running that script I would like something that shows progress better - like the loading progress bar already there.