The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

major instability issues Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
got an email about new alpha or beta version (can’t remember which) and decided to take a look. When I loaded it and found it didn’t support 1Passwd, I re-downloaded 5.5.4 and re-installed it.

Now, here are some of the issues I'm experiencing:

Google calendar won’t load. Have to use FireFox.

Most news stories in cnn.com won’t load.

Frequent crashes, and when that happens it resets all my prefs

any idea how to re-stabilize this puppy? I love OW but this has me to the point I'm about to switch to FireFox until 5.6 is formally released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes
Most news stories in cnn.com won’t load.
Ever since their re-design, I can't get any videos to work, nor any special features like local weather. The pages all load fine, though.

Quote:
any idea how to re-stabilize this puppy? I love OW but this has me to the point I'm about to switch to FireFox until 5.6 is formally released.
That's why it's called an ALPHA. If you want stability, then don't use it. I, for one, am glad Omni put it out for us to play with. It's been working fine for me, although some Ajax sites (like the ones you mention) are problems.

I understand it’s an alpha, and yes, I am NOT using it. I re-installed 5.5.4 over it and I'm STILL having stability issues. THAT is the point of my post.

But thanks for your thoughts on Alpha releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmathes
any idea how to re-stabilize [OmniWeb 5.5.4]? I love OW but this has me to the point I'm about to switch to FireFox until 5.6 is formally released.
Well, first, I'd recommend contacting omniweb5@omnigroup.com so our support ninjas can help you debug this. (They might even know exactly what the problem is, if they've seen it before.) There might be some clues in your Error Log (under the Window menu) that would give more details about what's going wrong. That would be a good thing to send to them.

My guess (but without seeing the error log and without hearing about similar problems it's only a guess) is that there's some problem with one of the caches or with the history index database. You can find those here:
  1. Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5
  2. Library/Application Support/OmniWeb 5/HistoryIndex.ox

Moving both of those out of the way (say, onto your Desktop) might help the problem.

thanks Ken, I emailed support and will try those ideas and see what happens.

Ken...FYI, I don’t have a file on my computer called ‘historyindex’. Doesn’t appear to exist anywhere. Found and moved the com.omnigroup.omniweb5 folder. No change in behavior.

Will await word from the support group.