The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"sequential by date" project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there. I use an omnifocus project, with all actions being a recurring item. This is what I use to keep my finances managed as far as bill payments, etc.

Right now, when I have paid a bill and check it off as done, because it is a recurring item, the next one appears, directly below. Then, I drag that new item down to the right spot so that the actions are always descending by date.

I initially thought that if I opened the "view" panel and clicked on the "Date" top of the column, it would auto-sort it (i.e. sort by due date) — It doesn't (I wonder if this is a bug?).

Any help is appreciated

Context views sort the displayed actions. Project views only sort the displayed projects. The assumption is that within a project, the order of actions is manually controlled so you can define dependencies between tasks. This works well in many cases, but as you've noted, it doesn't work so well for repeating actions.

There are a couple things you can try:

- You can use the Edit menu to permanently reorder tasks in Project view. Select the tasks to be sorted (using Cmd-clicks or shift-clicks as in most Mac apps) and choose Edit → Sort → By Date …

- You can submit a feature request to have new repeating items added at the end of their project. Use Help → Send Feedback to submit bug reports and feature suggestions to get them entered in the development database. (See this sticky thread at the top of the forum for details.) You might search the forum for this issue as well. It's been discussed at length.

Hope that helps!

Curt

Thanks very much. I'll submit a request