The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ooops, all my unread RSS has been cleared Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a Favorites folder with a bunch of RSS feed subfolders. I was pleased when I discovered I could set all of them as read by selecting the top-level RSS folder in Personal Bookmarks and picking Mark as Viewed.

A few minutes ago, I figured I'd try the same technique with Mark as Alive. Needless to say, I was very disappointed to discover that Mark as Alive on a folder also does a Mark as Viewed. Especially disappointed because I had not yet scanned the feeds to see what I wanted to read.

[submitted as formal feedback]

Yeah this can be a problem, Bookmarks right now only have one state. Read, Unread, Alive or Unreachable. So if something happens to your unread bookmarks and it thinks that you can't reach them the read/unread state is going to be forgotten. We'll get a bug filed on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
Yeah this can be a problem, Bookmarks right now only have one state. Read, Unread, Alive or Unreachable. So if something happens to your unread bookmarks and it thinks that you can't reach them the read/unread state is going to be forgotten. We'll get a bug filed on this.
Without separating the Read/Unread and Alive/Unreachable states, Mark as Viewed & Mark as Alive could be smarter - don't touch the state of a specific bookmark unless it would reverse the indicated state. For example, Mark as Alive would only modify a bookmark that is currently Unreachable.

Ah i see, so you had a mixture of unreachable and unread bookmarks in the folder. Yeah that makes sense (though I'd still like to see these fully separated so bookmarks can hold two states at once).

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
Ah i see, so you had a mixture of unreachable and unread bookmarks in the folder.
I did the Mark as Alive on the top-level folder in my Favorites. So I suspect there were 1-2 unreachables, along with dozens of unread in a variety of subfolders.

I'll be more careful until OmniWeb gets more clever.