The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fill pattern colors Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm having trouble figuring out how to control foreground and background fill colors when using the pattern fill.

So, let's say I have a square and I want to fill it with a diagonal stripes pattern - red stripes on a blue background. So, I select my square, click the Fill inspector, and then the Pattern option within the Color inspector. There's some combination of default colors and the various pattern options.

Here's where I get confused. I've tried any number of sequences: Pick a pattern from the list first, then try to adjust the colors of foreground and background in the two color wheels. Or, try picking colors first, then the pattern. What usually ends up happening is I get EITHER the foreground or background color the way I want it, but the other one is some random color, and when I try to fix it, the pattern goes away.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I suspect I'm missing some very basic sequence of steps I'm supposed to follow. Can someone please fill me in?

That is not typical behaviour - you should be able to pick the pattern then assign the foreground and background colours as you want and have them stick.

Which version of OmniGraffle are you using?

I am using OmniGraffle Pro 5.1.1 (v137.11.0.108132).

I had the same thing happen with the final version of OmniGraffle Pro 4. (4.2.3 I think?) I just find the whole experience of setting pattern fill colors extremely unpredictable and am not sure if it's a bug or something I'm doing...

You are clicking the color well in the Fill Inspector first to set the color, correct?