The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slow and unreliable syncing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Phew, thanks Hope it lasts ...

Does this work even if there have been changes made on the iPhone database that don't seem to have made it as far as the server copy?

Given the slow sync times, I've been meaning to run this script and do a thorough archiving of my desktop database, but I need to make sure that recent changes from my iPhone get transferred first.

Last edited by noumenal; 2008-08-10 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: Clarification

Worked here too! Thank you sooooo much :)

Yes did all the fixes and syncing quickly and reliably - both iPhone and Mac via MobileMe.
Many thanks to the team who accomplish so much so promptly.
Very importantly if you do get a message on your iPhone about emailing details of a crash please email it - our feedback helps the team enormously
I get this crash message 1-3 times a day but no loss of data thus far, and OF starts off again without apparent damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal View Post
Does this work even if there have been changes made on the iPhone database that don't seem to have made it as far as the server copy?

Given the slow sync times, I've been meaning to run this script and do a thorough archiving of my desktop database, but I need to make sure that recent changes from my iPhone get transferred first.
The cleanup procedure does obliterate any changes on the phone that haven't gotten up to the server yet. There are two ways to try and retrieve those changes before resetting things. (And yes, I realize neither of these is much fun.)

1) Open OmniFocus on your iPhone next to OmniFocus on your Mac and re-type everthing into the Mac copy. Kinda tedious, but not too complicated.

2) In OmniFocus on your iPhone, change the sync settings to sync to somewhere else (another folder on the same WebDAV server will be just fine). Sync. Browse to that same new folder with Finder or Goliath or the MobileMe web interface and pull down that OmniFocus file the iPhone just created and rename it something like iPhone-rescue.ofocus so you don't get it mixed up with your main database. Now open that up side-by-side with your main OmniFocus database on the Mac and copy/paste any data across that you need to keep. Slightly less tedious, but a little more complicated, and does require persuading your iPhone to sync. (Though a fresh sync to the server should be faster than a regular sync.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
The cleanup procedure does obliterate any changes on the phone that haven't gotten up to the server yet.
Thanks. I had to ditch my iPhone changes in the end because I was under a bit of time pressure. (There weren't that many changes anyway, which made the long sync time all the more infuriating.)

I've deleted OF from my iPhone for the time being, and don't plan to return to it until I hear reports that these issues are gone. The necessity to do these manual tweaks, and the fear of not knowing when an impossibly long sync is just around the corner to obliterate the recent changes made on the go, means that I can't commit to mobile OF right now. And, yes - I realise that this is alpha software but optimism had got the better of me, having had only one very minor bad experience during the whole of the desktop OF sneaky peeks.

A frustrating bug(?) that afflicted me earlier today, and was the last straw in making my decision, was that a whole series of due date changes refused to update across devices. The new dates were there on my iPhone, and iPhone-side sync completed fine, but no matter how many times I synced the desktop client, the dates just would not update. Is this a known issue?

Hoping that the improvements in 1.0.3 will mean this never has to happen again ...

noumenal: I suspect those due dates refusing to sync was caused by the issue fixed in 1.0.3, but it's hard to be certain without seeing the data which was trapped on your iPhone.

It is a known (and still open) issue that if you make two changes to the same action on different computers without syncing in between, one of those changes will be lost.

The issue that is resolved in 1.0.3 is that some types of changes were claiming that they changed a bunch more actions/projects/etc. than they really needed to, and so blocking other, real, changes to those actions/projects/etc.

Thanks - it's really useful to know what the known issues are, by the way, so I can take extra care when attempting particular things (I hope there will be some way of keeping up to date with what these issues are - perhaps in the release notes?)

I think Omni is doing a phenomenal job and I fully expect the sync-capable OF (both desktop and iPhone versions) to be the best task manager out there when it reaches release stage.

Having said that, I can hardly wait for 1.0.3 because the app is untrustable for me at the moment. You'd think Apple would put their design award winners on some kind of fast track for updates ... ;-)

I have the latest version of omnifocus on my iphone and on my mac, but syncing seems to be taking too long.

The file omnifocus.ofocus on my idisk is 1.1MB.

Over a wifi connection:
  • It takes 1min 30 to sync between mac to iDisk and at least that to sync my iPhone.
  • If I drag and drop the same file from idisk to my desktop the transfer takes about 2 seconds.

... used the script linked below for the 2nd time.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=9273

(I used it once already... before omniFocus was updated to v1.0.3 on my iPhone)

Now the sync time is back down to less than 10 seconds.

Great tool. Thanks.

(If you can make syncing interaction design as simple and quick as with my old Palm Vx, that would be wonderful. The same goes for the number of steps to make a to-do entry from taking iphone out of pocket.)