The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Anywhere" context Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been having a problem with GTD in general and the new OmniFocus for iPhone has made it even more frequent.

I keep runing across actions like "Brainstorm current story idea" or "make a list of things to eat for lunch next week" that can really be done anywhere at any time. Up until my iPhone I'd been keeping those tasks in a context I called "anywhere."

Now that I have an iPhone I've been having more and more trouble not flooding that list with tasks. Suddenly all of my emails that need to be sent that would normally go into "mac : Email" could also go into "anywhere." All web services that I need to sign up for, banking transfers I need to make, articles I need to read, everything I need to buy, and more can all be taken care of on my iPhone anywhere. This sounds great but I'm finding it a GTD nightmare that is ruining the idea of context oriented lists.

Also, I keep finding myself forgetting about the "Anywhere" context to begin with. I find myself only looking at the list for the context that I'm in.

Anyone else having this problem? Is this just the way it's got to be?

I find that I need to mentally separate out what I could be doing on the iPhone into "email" "phone" etc categories. In some ways this is cheating on contexts, but not really. If I'm on the train riding home I can do some email on the iPhone, but not really make phone calls. Whereas if I'm driving home from the train station I can make a call but not work on email. Same device, same tools at my disposal, but in reality different contexts.

-Rob

Also, while one "can" do many things on our mobile device, it may still be quicker or desirable for other reasons to perform certain tasks somewhere other than uh, anywhere.