The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Very disturbing behaviour from OmniWeb Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have been using OmniWeb for a little while now and have observed some extremely worrying behaviour.

I use Parallels to code in windows XP on my Macbook, and when I open up OmniWeb in MacOS the Visual Studio code window iin WinXP is being bombarded by random words, much like you would find in a spam email. It happens in spurts of a few words at a time, and when it does it a little box appears in the top left with some dots and a green arrow. It's very unusual, but so far I've only been able to track it down to Omniweb. I quit Omniweb, and it stops. I start Omniweb and the 'spamming' cranks back into life..

Here is a sample of the text it pastes...

"The one And if I may not have voted in less than I was raised the bar and you lose a few , the man says some of the storm you have to go for the two sexes and have enough to get all the time the things that need an One of the year that the San Diego will say on the size of some use of the nineteen -year high of one another. And so on the one on the hill on the only a one on the move will have the one of the one that you had hoped to have a home then I will walk The A well-known for , the young ..."

etc...

And as I say it does this a few words at a time, every few seconds to a minute spaced apart. It's doing more as I speak.

Has anyome else experienced this? I'm concerned to the point where I will be stopping using Omniweb soon if I can't find a solution :-(

Thanks, Mike.

Does it happen -only- if you have Omniweb open?

Yes it only appears to happen when Omniweb is running. I quit it, the strange words stop... I start it and it goes again. It sends words anywhere from every second or so, to up to a minute or so gaps in between. It's very odd.

Could it be a website that's doing it? Yesterday I noticed it after I was browsing a few sites (BBC news, Digg, Gmail)... but all those seem fairly kosher. One site I did visit that I rarely visit, was www.break.com (funny videos etc). Is it possible that they have some malicious javascript or something? Just an idea...

I don't like to blame Omniweb, but at the moment all fingers are pointing to something going on from Omniweb - whether it's the borwser, or something running in the browser. Something worth noting is that it still does it when all I have open is Google (set as my home page). Opening up a new tab, and broswing to aother page seems to spark the spamming into life (making it send a few more words).

Two words - Very. Odd.

Cheers,

Mike.