The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

I wish Reeder supported "Send To OmniFocus" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Heh. You got to understand that it's nothing OG can do. As said, Reeders devs have to incorporate the respective code into their software, not vice versa. So if you want reeder to support "send to OF", post your "+1" on their boards to get attention and momentum.

Hi folks,

I am currently achieving Reeder to OmniFocus using the 'email to inbox' feature offered by Spoonik: http://www.spootnik.net/signup.html

Reeder in iOS iPad lets you set the default email address when you 'mail link', so it just a two tap operation.

Incidentally, I also use the 'email to inbox' feature on my iOS devices over the OF client - I find it quicker to load, and more reliable in terms of being sure that it will hit my OF inbox (sometimes my iOS OF clients don't sync without encouragement).
I also use it all the time from work where I am PC bound.

Cheers,
pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Heh. You got to understand that it's nothing OG can do. As said, Reeders devs have to incorporate the respective code into their software, not vice versa. So if you want reeder to support "send to OF", post your "+1" on their boards to get attention and momentum.
Respectfully, I disagree Christian. The OmniGroup could do a whole lot more!

I've successfully got three App developers to incorporate 'Send to OmniFocus' and had half-a-dozen others on my radar. I then gave up.

Why?

OK, can you tell me what's in it for them? Omni consistently refuses to acknowledge those developers that agree to incorporate StOF. The best I could offer them was doing the courtesy of an acknowledgement by me (an end-user) on these forums. Oh, and then I got accused of appearing to spam!

If you, or any other Honourable Members, wish to see other App developers include StOF, I'd suggest emailing kc@omnigroup.com and suggest that OmniGroup at least demonstrates that it wishes to encourage third-parties to incorporate the StOF code by giving them at least minimal recognition for their efforts.

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2011-10-02 at 10:06 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
Respectfully, I disagree Christian. The OmniGroup could do a whole lot more!

I've successfully got three App developers to incorporate 'Send to OmniFocus' and had half-a-dozen others on my radar. I then gave up.

Why?

OK, can you tell me what's in it for them? Omni consistently refuses to acknowledge those developers that agree to incorporate StOF. The best I could offer them was doing the courtesy of an acknowledgement by me (an end-user) on these forums. Oh, and then I got accused of appearing to spam!

If you, or any other Honourable Members, wish to see other App developers include StOF, I'd suggest emailing kc@omnigroup.com and suggest that OmniGroup at least demonstrates that it wishes to encourage third-parties to incorporate the StOF code by giving them at least minimal recognition for their efforts.
I really do not want to argue but I don't see why an acknowledgement by OG would be the killer argument for a dev to incorporate "send to OF".

The thing is, I use OF anyways, no matter if "App X" can send to it. Yes, it would be very cool but if it does not happen then oh well. I will tell you that, after seeing this thread for the first time, I sent a mail to the Reeder people, asking them to take a look at the API and to consider offering a "send to" menu entry. No reply, ever.

What did I do? I checked out the competition. Namely Mr. Reader, hinted at in this very thread, and it turned out not only to be a pretty great google reader client but also to be developed by a guy who appears to know his business and who answers support emails within a day. I still use it to this day instead of the other reader I had used before. Soon there will be an iPhone version too (as he said).

What I am trying to say is: it's really the devs of third party apps that benefit from incorporating a "send to OF" option. I might be using reeder right now if they would have done it. I might be using another app if that option was there. Now I am using the App that offers what I want. That is what I think needs to be communicated to devs of Apps that you would like to be modified: what is THEIR additional value from adding the code? In this case, a good lot of potential new customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
What I am trying to say is: it's really the devs of third party apps that benefit from incorporating a "send to OF" option. I might be using reeder right now if they would have done it. I might be using another app if that option was there. Now I am using the App that offers what I want. That is what I think needs to be communicated to devs of Apps that you would like to be modified: what is THEIR additional value from adding the code? In this case, a good lot of potential new customers.
That wasn't my experience, Christian. I communicated with a good number of developers and managed to convince three of them to add StOF, although I know that one of them did it simply as a favour to me. There isn't much benefit to a major developer, even if they got an additional 500 OF users to purchase a 99¢ app, that's only a few hundred bucks in additional revenue, after Apple's creamed their 30%.

Certainly, for the smaller devs, it might be possible to make a beneficial case but only if Omni did them at least the courtesy of, say, listing compatible apps in the features tab on the main website. IMHO that would also be helpful to users and potential purchasers. Sadly, at the moment, the only way of learning about apps that support StOF is via this forum.

Likewise, it wouldn't hurt if OmniFocus returned the favour occasionally, for example by incorporating the code that allows apps to utilise exchange protocols, such as PhotoAppLink.

1. In Omnifocus Preferences, enable "Add Mail rule to create Omnifocus actions" and configure (I use "Task:" in the Subject Line")
2. In Reeder use the "Mail Link" service to open a new message. Type in the Subject line "Task: blah blah". Send

The message will post to your Mail Inbox to be processed into Omnifocus.