The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

BlackBerry user on an island? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In the past week, I've read most of David Allen's book on GTD, am highly motivated to get started, don't find OmniFocus intimidating at all as I've seen others comment on. Ready to get started!

However, as someone who doesn’t have AT&T were I live, an iPhone isn't an option. I have a BlackBerry Storm 2 (PocketInformant on the BB), MacBook Pro, 10.5.8 and sync with Missing Sync for BB.

Here's my problem, there are major issues with syncing tasks with this setup. Tasks with alarms entered on my BB loose the alarm on the desktop when syncing. I have to use Categories as my GTD Contexts, so now my iCal has a ton of calendars which relate to my tasks.

Just wondering if there are any Mac/BB users out there and wondering if they have any luck keeping the Mac desktop and the Phone in sync?

Not really an OmniFocus question I understand, but if I can't get effective sync between my phone and my Mac, there is no motivation to use a desktop client (OF). I'll just use my phone as my "mini-GTD" app. BTW, PIBB has GTD features built-in, Projects and Context so it could be done, but would appreciate any feedback from users who have this setup as I can see great potential in OF and GTD.

Hi

Quote:
I have a BlackBerry Storm 2 (PocketInformant on the BB), MacBook Pro, 10.5.8 and sync with Missing Sync for BB.
I've been through this, and found that
1. AFAIK Missing Sync has been bought by BBerry, who ARE updating it, so you can get better for free.
2. I found that syncing PocketInformant and my Mac was buggy. For example calendar and tasks would only update after restarting PocketInformant. I've since found Calendar Pro thru BBerry appworld. I prefer the interface, and the sync seems flawless.

I work as follows:
1. Always generate and allocate tasks in Omni.
2. Set a "spare" calendar in coloured red for events generated on my BBerry Bold to sync to. That way when I do a review i cannot miss the new event, and can reallocated it to whatever category is best.
3. if I think of a new idea, task, or whatever when I am away from my Mac, I use my Bberry to send an email direct to my Omnifocus inbox, so i can process it next time I'm at my desk.

The search function on Calendar pro makes it easy (if a millisecond laggy) to search for tasks by category when I'm out and about.

This combo is working well for me - I bought an Omni Licence when the trial expired, and I'm just about to buy Calendar pro for my Bold.

Hope this helps

Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentA View Post
Hi

I've been through this, and found that
1. AFAIK Missing Sync has been bought by BBerry, who ARE updating it, so you can get better for free.
I'm not sure about that. MissingSync still sells their product for BB. One thing about MSBB is that it allows BlueTooth syncing and "proximity syncing" (it knows my BB is in range of the computer, ie in a jacket pocket) and syncs. No cables to mess with.
Quote:
2. I found that syncing PocketInformant and my Mac was buggy. For example calendar and tasks would only update after restarting PocketInformant. I've since found Calendar Pro thru BBerry appworld. I prefer the interface, and the sync seems flawless.
The issues with PIBB is that in order to allow snoozable alarms (RIM doesn't allow this natively) it needs to use it's own DB, which it does sync with the built-in Calendar app, BUT it causes alarms on the desktop to be shut off.

Quote:
I work as follows:
1. Always generate and allocate tasks in Omni.
2. Set a "spare" calendar in coloured red for events generated on my BBerry Bold to sync to. That way when I do a review i cannot miss the new event, and can reallocated it to whatever category is best.
3. if I think of a new idea, task, or whatever when I am away from my Mac, I use my Bberry to send an email direct to my Omnifocus inbox, so i can process it next time I'm at my desk.

The search function on Calendar pro makes it easy (if a millisecond laggy) to search for tasks by category when I'm out and about.

This combo is working well for me - I bought an Omni Licence when the trial expired, and I'm just about to buy Calendar pro for my Bold.
I can't find it on the BB Appworld, or Crackberry.com. Can you send a link? Also, does Calendar Pro offer snoozable Alarms? I have bought PIBB (which does have snoozable, but as mentioned, disables them on the Mac desktop), I have bought RexWireless ToDoMatrix which has snoozable alarms and preserves them on my desktop (I sync iCal events and tasks over the LAN and the others rely on the alarms working). But TDM is only a Task management software, not calendar, which GTD methodology requires for specific types of Next Actions.

Quote:
Hope this helps

Vincent
It does. Thank you.

Quote:
I'm not sure about that. MissingSync still sells their product for BB. One thing about MSBB is that it allows BlueTooth syncing
My Bad :-( - I was thinking of another product. I'd be interested to know how well Missing Sync performs over time - i was put off by the combination of no trial period and some bad reviews. If it IS reliable and doesn't eat your calendars, contacts, tasks or all three when you turn your back, I might try it.

Calendar Pro
Try http://www.sbsh.net/products/blackberry/calendar_pro
Snoozable alarms seem to work ok if set on the Bberry - you get an alarm from the app and from the BBerry simultaneously. I just tried setting an alarm on ical, then syncing, and found the alarm had disappeared on the Bberry - it's not a big deal for me - if I wanted an alarm on the move there are other ways of doing it....

I had a look at TDM - looks impressive, but I would rather anchor my attempts at self-discipline and self-management to a pooter than my to my pocket.

Cheers

Quote:
...but I would rather anchor my attempts at self-discipline and self-management to a pooter than my to my pocket.

Cheers
Completely agree. But I want to be sure I have the tools in place to help me be self-disciplined. :-)

The Missing Sync for Blackberry is a popular and reliable way in which to sync your Mac with your Blackberry device (and vice versa).

The Mark/Space website provides additional detail and info.

Last edited by rickt99; 2010-04-30 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: spelling error