The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cocoa Gestures Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I know it's an unsupported hack, but I'm in love with mouse gestures in Safari so I eagerly applied them to the Omniweb sneakypeak. I use the middle button for gestures. I also use the middle button for open-in-new-tab clicking on links. Safari manages to discriminate a click from a click-and-drag, with only the latter calling cocoa gestures.

Omni does not do this. The click seems to get omniweb stuck in some kind of loop, where it will not respond to input for a while. The only way I could solve that is by turning the acceptance threshold for cocoa gestures down, and holding down the button a bit longer when doing open-in-new-tab. This is not ideal, since it requires precise timing for both the gestures and the clicking.

I don't suppose anyone could see if they can replicate the problems I'm having?

BTW, I use gestures for forwards/back, tab switching, refresh, close tab... if some simple gesture functionality could be built into OmniWeb I'd ditch cocoa gestures instantly :)

Amorya

Cocoa Gestures work just fine for me in sp7. You might want to try removing the prefs to reload the defaults (~/Application Support/CocoaGestures/OmniWeb.plist).

Quote:
Originally Posted by afb
Cocoa Gestures work just fine for me in sp7. You might want to try removing the prefs to reload the defaults (~/Application Support/CocoaGestures/OmniWeb.plist).
The "pro version" (suite) works fine too, just tried.

"pro version" ???

Edit: I see now; should have looked at the webpage first.

Last edited by afb; 2006-04-30 at 10:43 AM..

On previous omniweb versions (not 5.5) there was a guaranteed crash if you click "cocoasuite" submenu and check for updates, happily saying it is fixed now too.

It was a glitch in cocoasuite and there was no way to fix it without rewriting entire thing.

I highly recommend using a gestures app called xGestures. I used to use Cocoa Gestures, but it just wasn't good enough, plus it only worked in Cocoa apps. Once I switched to xGestures I've been a happy camper. My coworker made the switch shortly after me and he's never looked back either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballard
I highly recommend using a gestures app called xGestures. I used to use Cocoa Gestures, but it just wasn't good enough, plus it only worked in Cocoa apps. Once I switched to xGestures I've been a happy camper. My coworker made the switch shortly after me and he's never looked back either.
I use "cocoa suite" which only works with Cocoa, right but uses different methods of working. Only Graphic Converter here (which is excellent) is Carbon for its own reasons and its UI of course doesn't fit to gestures concept.

Cocoa Suite has nothing to do with the gestures. Gestures is working excellent but simple of course. Even some may argue that the BitArt giving "too much free functionality" with Gestures hitting their own commercial product.

For example: me :)

Quote:
This is veering a bit off topic, but I switched to xGestures recently, too. Part of the reason for the switch is I have an Intel machine now, and CocoaGestures is PPC-only. But it's also because CocoaGestures hasn't been updated in nearly three years, and I don't expect this to change.

xGestures is well supported. The developer will even send you custom builds to try and track down why something isn't working - the Wacom tablet support in the later builds is at least in part because I kept bugging him to fix the issue. :)

I can sympathize with the CocoaGestures developer, though - they created CocoaGestures and gave it away for free, and I doubt they had big sales of the CocoaSuite to make up for the effort. But I've asked him many times to open source the code if he no longer wants to support it, with no luck... so I guess that's the way it's going to be.

Quote:
This is veering a bit off topic, but I switched to xGestures recently, too. Part of the reason for the switch is I have an Intel machine now, and CocoaGestures is PPC-only. But it's also because CocoaGestures hasn't been updated in nearly three years, and I don't expect this to change.

xGestures is well supported. The developer will even send you custom builds to try and track down why something isn't working - the Wacom tablet support in the later builds is at least in part because I kept bugging him to fix the issue. :)

I can sympathize with the CocoaGestures developer, though - h3 created CocoaGestures and gave it away for free, and I doubt he saw big sales of the CocoaSuite to make up for the effort. But I've asked him many times to open source the code if he no longer wants to support it, with no luck... so I guess that's the way it's going to be.

I use CocoaSuite and I need to click and hold for a second to load link in a new tab. Otherwise it'll 'freeze' the mouse pointer until I scroll up/down. In Camino, it doesn't cause the mouse pointer to freeze. Maybe it's webkit thing.