The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iPhone/iTouch Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I currently keep the OF database and preferences on my thumb drive, and just take the thumb drive to and from work to use the app in both places. This works great, I love it :)

My biggest worry at the moment is a change in my work environment. In September we are going to be required to use a specific encrypted memory stick - which (of course!) only works with Windoze. So I won't be allowed to use my thumb drive at work. Since I also can't access iDisk from work, things are a bit tense!

Will the iTouch OmniFocus (not iPhone since a) not released in Australia and b) it has a camera and therefore I can't bring it to work) be able to work as a complete OF system - or will it simply be a capture process? I was thinking that I could just keep OF on my iTouch and just carry it in my bag - the ultimate in portable GTD.. is this the envisioned approach?

Good question. Many of us are potentially in the same boat you are in.

Assuming you are allowed to carry personal notebook computers to work (presumably as long as you refrain from connecting them to the network), you may want to consider a used macbook for OF use. I don't recall the specs and OF system requirements, but a used 12" powerbook might do just fine. If you are rolling in cash, an Air would do nicely . . . ;)

We're just beginning to explore the iPhone software development kit, which is still in beta and changing on Apple's end, as well. We're really excited about the possibilities, but it's probably too early to make any real predictions about what the app is going to end up like in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yucca View Post
Assuming you are allowed to carry personal notebook computers to work (presumably as long as you refrain from connecting them to the network), you may want to consider a used macbook for OF use. I don't recall the specs and OF system requirements, but a used 12" powerbook might do just fine. If you are rolling in cash, an Air would do nicely . . . ;)
Ah, but the Air has a camera, which is a big no-no. As does my current MacBook Pro - so yeah, maybe an old 12" would be the way to go.

Thanks for the response Brian, I understand the lack of clarity at this early stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyleigh View Post
Ah, but the Air has a camera, which is a big no-no. As does my current MacBook Pro - so yeah, maybe an old 12" would be the way to go.
You can disable the camera.

Disabling the camera may be simple. Reassuring security personnel and everyone who walks by your desk that the camera really is disabled would probably be tedious, if not impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Disabling the camera may be simple. Reassuring security personnel and everyone who walks by your desk that the camera really is disabled would probably be tedious, if not impossible.
I recall someone on another forum who mentioned that he had had to superglue a piece of thin plastic over the built-in iSight in his MacBook in order to take it to his workplace. One could probably achieve the same result by different means using an x-acto knife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
I recall someone on another forum who mentioned that he had had to superglue a piece of thin plastic over the built-in iSight in his MacBook in order to take it to his workplace. One could probably achieve the same result by different means using an x-acto knife.
I suspect that this would not be sufficient in my workplace. One individual here managed to get Apple to internally disable the camera and then provide documentation of that process. But despite this, he now needs to fill out a form every 6 weeks explaining that the camera doesn't work, for the rest of the computers life. And this is for an asset that the workplace owns, there will simply be no way they will allow me to bring my own personal machine with a camera on-site no matter what I superglue to iSight (or even if I got it disconnected internally by Apple).

Wait a sec . . . you do realize that the iPhone has a built-in camera, right? As do MOST cell phones these days. Your employer needs a reality check with this camera non-sense. There is no rational reason to ban notebooks with built-in cameras when they allow cell phones with built-in cameras into the workplace.

Sheesh! And I thought I work for a bunch of dumb asses . . .

If you read my original post you will see that I said that I would be using an iTouch not the iPhone since it has a camera. We are also not allowed to bring in camera equipped mobile phones either; and yes, it is a pain in the ass to find a decent phone without a camera.