The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I Hope This Thread Makes Sense: "Too Many Action Steps Vs. Not Enough?" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey guys, so i've stumbled upon a thought brewing in my mind for many months now.

First of all I should mention that one of my perspectives, appropriately titled "Completed Actions!" lists all of the actions i've checked off and have completed. Ever so often i'll go into this perspective and search the term "Yoga" to see how many times i've actually done yoga or a similar search.

I'll get right to the point: When it's time to create a new project, i'll (subconsciously, if you could call it that) create a project with as few action steps as possible. I think mentally that if the least action steps there are in the project, the sooner it will get done.

On a personal note I hope i'm not the 1st to come across something like this, as it's killing me.

This in turn make some of my projects stale. I'll not complete or even start the project for a while. A few projects weren't even started for a whole month til' after they were created?.

After almost 3 weeks of not browsing in these forums I found a thread titled, "What's in your daily review?" where curt.clifton (yeah i'm talking to you. :]) kindly reported his morning, nightly and weekly reviews utilizing OmniOutliner. Focusing on the morning review I noticed a checkpoint where it takes realization to think about stale actions/projects which curt.clifton is "draconian" over the matter.

After looking at my projects that haven't been touched I'm seeing that perhaps I need to extend the actions in my projects. Leading back to the my early OF mindset, thinking that the least amount of action steps in a project would sooner lead to a completed project....would now be a wrong way of thinking, both in utilizing OF and the GTD method altogether.

Reverting back to the originally mentioned "Completed Actions!" perspective I 1st created when I got OF I thought i'd see a long list of completed actions in this project, but feel unsatisfied when I still see my main/important projects still sitting idle in my "Available" actions perspective.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the point, I feel that I have a bit of a situation concerning that I make my projects only a few steps as opposed to having an appropiate long list of steps to ultimately help me complete easily the actions and overall project I wish to accomplish.

I hope i'm making sense on the matter and am not alone or at the very least, hoping others have overcome this situation as I feel its a major roadblock in where i'm at in overhauling OF (concerning the main/important perspectives.)

EDIT: So, i'm still very much concerned about this subject matter. IPn the middle of my weekly review today I'm noticing that many of my projects have a small # of steps towards completion, perhaps with a mentality that the less steps it involves, the faster I can reach to having these projects completed. Yet the projects with the most minimal amount of steps are the ones that are stuck the most and hardly get touch, while easier projects with the same small # of action steps get completed at a much higher frequency.

Last edited by HappyDude; 2009-08-09 at 01:53 PM..

Have a read at this, this, this and this.

Hope they help - I found them useful, anyway! :)