The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rules for disk syncing? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a MacBook Pro and a MacPro. When I'm on the road I use the MBP; when I'm in my office I reboot my MBP into Firewire Target Disk Mode so it becomes a drive mounted on my MacPro.

Since OmniFocus first came out I've been keeping the OmniFocus database on the MBP, running OmniFocus off of the MBP's drive, which quite nicely found the database on the MBP. Neat and easy, but no longer possible.

OmniFocus 1.5 requires its database to be in "the standard location", ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus, which means the two machines can't share databases. The nicely apologetic dialog box mentioned the Sync/Disk option, but I'm not sure what the rules are.

I assume that one running OmniFocus can't sync to another running OmniFocus' database; they must sync via a neutral third database (right?). However, since only one of my OmniFocuses will be running at a time, can I just set the Mac Pro's OmniFocus to sync to the "standard location" on my MBP that will in turn be directly used by my MBP's OmniFocus? Or must I create an independent OmniFocus database on my MBP drive and have both machines' OmniFocuses sync to that? (And is OmniFocuses indeed the plural of OmniFocus?)

Thanks,
Dan

You should use an independent database, as client information gets stored in the "master" sync database, and that won't get updated (or observed) by a client that thinks it's just working with its own database.