The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus and Information Managers Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I use OmniFocus for my daily task management and it works well for me. However I am constantly getting documents, emails and scanned items (PDF) that are important to keep track off. Currently I attach these files or links as part of the tasks and this works. Bottom-line not all information makes it to OmniFocus for me at least.

I wanted to know if anyone has incorporated a dedicated information manager as part of their workflow ?

Today I use spotlight but I wanted an application like Yojimbo because I think in the long run I will be able to find information faster.

Any advised would be appreciated.

Bill

I am also struggling with this. I need to store email, PDF documents, Word, Excel, in what amounts to a personal database so that I can easily find stuff later. In my job I have a lot of "incoming" that I need to read, process and send to OmniFocus or store for later access. I also want to be able to log notes of conversations and meetings.

I've have DEVONthink but I don't like the interface, and I've struggled to learn the program. I have also purchased Circus Ponies notebook, tried Yojimbo, tried SOHO (which crashes frequently) and a few others. I have a copy of Bento 3.0 which I'm going to investigate soon, but I'm note sure it will meet my needs. I use OmniOutliner occassionally, I don't know if that could somehow meet my needs, maybe for the note taking aspect? If any one has any solutions I would love to hear them.

Gathering the information from multiple sources is a challenge that takes a lot of time daily to keep right. I use services to add to the OmniFocus Inbox from Apple Mail and save everything else to my documents folder and carefully name the file to ease searching in Spotlight. Later I attach the file in my OmniFocus actions note area for each project. This works but the effort it takes is problematic and searching is OK. The problem in my mind is that information managers attempt to act like task managers and vice versa.

Did you find the use of tags or metadata helpful with Yojimbo? I am not quite set with using the web to store data for security reasons, so whatever information manager I pick will need to be a local application.

Whatever solution I pick will need to be acceptable from a time and energy expended standpoint or I will likely stop doing it.

Thanks for the input, lets keep this thread going !!!!!!

Bill

I've spent some time this week evaluating information management programs for the Mac. I'm giving up on DEVONthink Pro. While it has a great deal of power, I find it difficult to use and the interface is fuggly. After reviewing the contenders in the field my top two finalists were Together and EagleFlier. In my head to head comparison using both on some of my data a clear leader emerged. The winner for me is EagleFlier, and the more I use it the more I like it. It also is updated frequently, so I'm hopeful that the things I don't like about it will get improved. Backing up my data library to a USB drive to move between my desktop and laptop is somewhat cumbersome, and it doesn't open OmniOutliner files directly, you have to double click the file and then OmniOutliner opens (in Together you can view the outlines without opening OO). However, overall this seems like a really cool program with alot of nice features. (BTW Yojimbo was a very distant 3rd place finisher). I have a 30 day trial period to use it but I'm going to buy it well before that deadline is up. Check it out!