The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus on iPad Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Perhaps a bit of a tangent, but here goes: I hope Omni is considering or looking at some elegant but non-webdav cloud solution for syncing between desktop and iPhoneOS devices. Not something they build but rather some way to write and read like from DropBox but via http instead of webdav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelmarcos View Post
Perhaps a bit of a tangent, but here goes: I hope Omni is considering or looking at some elegant but non-webdav cloud solution for syncing between desktop and iPhoneOS devices. Not something they build but rather some way to write and read like from DropBox but via http instead of webdav.
WebDAV IS http read & write. It's industry standard for file services over http, so I'm not sure it would be good for Omni to create their own protocol to replicate WebDAV.

What about WebDAV is a problem for you to a custom protocol would better serve?

As a long-time customer of Omnigroup, and an OmniFocus user since the early betas, and as a big fan of the company qua company, I am heavily invested in the continued success of OG.

And while I'm disappointed from a user perspective that I don't get a snazzy new OmniFocus on my snazzy new iPad, I am not even slightly upset about it. Why?

I use OF primarily on my Mac. I do 90% of my entries there because I'm at a computer 12 hours a day. OF on my iPhone is there for the remaining 10% capture, and for checking (and checking off) actions on those rare instances I'm not in front of my computer.

I know people are expecting iPad to replace laptops, but that's not here yet (at least not for me, and not for a while based on my particular needs). For now, and I'd guess for most people, iPad is a promise. Some folks are trying to accelerate that promise by living on their iPad; I'm doing it on a trial basis, fully hoping to have a huge amount of my laptop needs replaced by iPad.

At that time, or as part of making that happen, OF on iPad will be awesome.

But, as I said, I don't really care. I always have my iPhone on me anyway, so my workflow doesn't change while I'm away from a computer. I'm not going to pull out my iPad in the middle of the street and tap in an action item, no more than I would pull out my MacBook Pro.

The only time not having a native OF on iPad matters is when I don't have my computer, and I want to do more than a quick review or check a few actions. And since I don't tend to be away from my computer very long, I don't tend to need to do much of that.

Six months or a year from now, when I'm using my iPad as a primary system in place of my MBP, then I'll be happy to have OF for iPad.

Until then, I am still happy with using my iPhone, and using the app double-sized on iPad, while not ideal or markedly different, remains useful for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post

I use OF primarily on my Mac. I do 90% of my entries there because I'm at a computer 12 hours a day. OF on my iPhone is there for the remaining 10% capture, and for checking (and checking off) actions on those rare instances I'm not in front of my computer.
Most of us don't have the pleasure of using macs @Work. The business world is primarily PC.

Quote:

The only time not having a native OF on iPad matters is when I don't have my computer, and I want to do more than a quick review or check a few actions. And since I don't tend to be away from my computer very long, I don't tend to need to do much of that.
People forced to use PCs @Work are in that situation every morning 5 days a week.

OK, I'll try out swissdisk for the webdav.

> Most of us don't have the pleasure of using macs @Work.
> The business world is primarily PC.

Ditto.

I'd love to know what percentage of OmniFocus users are using OF for iPhone as their primary (or only) interface, rather than OF on the desktop.

I've always assumed the vast majority of folks used OF for iPhone as a secondary interface.

@jasong:

Like you, I do my primary work in the Mac client. Then I use the iPod touch for capturing and checking off tasks while I'm outside.

For time where I am waiting in line doing errands, I'll start doing a mini review and re-arrange some projects and tasks. I never know when I'll find inspiration and it's always nice to have the iPod touch around to capture those brilliant yet fleeting ideas......

My primary machine is the MacBook Pro, and I use it both at home and at work. In the iPhone only days, I used OF in my MacBook 90% of the time, and OF in iPhone about 10% of the time to capture my ideas/thoughts/tasks while on the move and occasionally browsing for the task. I think this has been true for other iPhone programs as well.

However, the iPad has been a game changer for me. Now I split 50/50 on my Mac and iPad (for some days, even more - yesterday, I used iPad 90% of the time). For my task management, I now use iPad 90% of the time, and use Mac about 10%. So, my need for the native OF version has gone up considerably.

For most of the readings I used to do in my computer, I now use the iPad, and any short note-taking, taking notes in meetings, etc. etc., iPad is my device of choice. So, the only time I'm using my MacBook Pro is when I'm doing heavy lifting. Even some heavy typing sessions, I'm using my iPad with the Apple wireless keyboard, and that combination has worked well given how less distracted I'm from "multi-tasking." So, here is one case where the lack of multi-tasking in iPad is a blessing.

All in all, I think the iPad is a game changer, and for one, I would have preferred having a version of OF in my iPad even if the only change has been scaling up the program to a native iPad resolution.

I haven't read over the entire thread, so pardon me if I'm repeating something that has already been said...

I would happily pay for Omnifocus for Ipad, and here's why....

I was originally a Things user. When I would look at OmniFocus, I'd grumble about the price, the visuals, etc. But after waiting for an eternity for Things to incorporate basic features (some of which still haven't "landed") or fix bugs (I waited for 6 months for them to fix one), I finally paid for OmniFocus, and man-o-man am I glad I did.

OmniFocus WORKS, and works GREAT. Omni COMMUNICATES and doesn't treat its users like children. If you go poke your head into the CulturedCode forums, you'll find a LOT of people asking for rudimentary features or regretting the $19.99 they spent on Things iPad.

I really don't care how long OF iPad takes, or how much it costs....I just hope Omni keeps on updating the blog and sharing screens and info to keep us in the loop.

I no longer have OmniFocus on my iPad. It's just not worth using there. It's still installed, but it's out of the sync schedule with the database wiped just in case I need to use it suddenly.

I have an iPhone 3G, and OF's speed on that phone when you have more than a couple of zip files laying around is atrocious. I found myself loading OF on the iPad most of the time just to have it be in sync with the others, and not so often to mark off or add tasks.

If OF had a faster sync system and database or I had a 3GS I'd probably be ok, but this just isn't worth it. On the iPad it was always nice and fast, but I still need the iPhone version to be usable. The only way to do that is to either leave the iPad on syncing with OF constantly, or not syncing at all.

So, please, don't consider OF to be "on the iPad" for some of us. Most iPad owners have iPhones or iPod touches, and many of those are on the slower versions. I suppose if I wasn't such an active user of OF… but then what's the point? I could probably be a Things user then. :P

For now, I'm counting the days until "June".