The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Want to use OW, but... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I download Omniweb almost every time there's a major update, and I continue to be disappointed. I love the features, but I can't use OW on some sites. Pages designed with Protopage don't render at all. The StumbleUpon tool bar can't be used. Both of these sites are optimized for Firefox, but other Mozilla browsers do work with them. Wordpress and Live Journal editing menus don't appear. Since most of my online writing is at wordpress.com, this is a significant drawback. When I pay for a browser one of the things I expect to be paying for is adherence to current web standards, and compatibility with most web sites. I don't see the point of paying for one browser and having to switch to another one to do my online work.

Is there ever going to be a change in this situation, or should I just forget about Omniweb permanently?
 
Seems like you're making some loaded statements. OW is compatible with most web sites. If you're at sites that are optimized for Firefox, I would suggest the issue is with those sites, not OmniWeb. Firefox is still in the minority. It's very sad these sites are optimizing themselves for Firefox. For years people optimized sites for IE and look where that got us. Sure there are some features that work in FF and not OW, but WebKit still has some way to go.

I own several copies of OW. I still use other browsers as well. There's two toolbars I use for Firefox. If the features OW currently has aren't of interest to you, don't buy it as OmniWeb isn't for you. There are tons of features in OW that don't exist in other browsers, so that's why I pay for it.
 

What about that isn't working, again?
Also, just like say, saft for safari which doesn't work with firefox, stumbleupon, made for firefox, doesn't work with omniweb.

Last edited by michaeldmartin; 2006-07-17 at 11:11 AM..
 
I'm just stating facts. If they seem loaded that's your problem, not mine. I don't expect OW to work with sites that are optimized for Firefox, but if you add those to the ones that should be accessible, it makes the investment in OW kind of iffy. Wordpress is pretty universal and so is Live Journal, but OW does not bring up their editing tool bars.

It would help if you'd actually read what I said. OW has a lot of features I like and would be very happy with. It's compatibility that's the problem. I don't want to have to switch browsers just to get my blogs posted.

What I hoped for, coming here, was that someone on the Omni staff would answer. I really don't need spin.

And I do agree about optimizing for Firefox being about as stupid as the older optimizing for IE. Firefox is my browser of choice, but I'd like to switch to OW.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Seems like you're making some loaded statements. OW is compatible with most web sites. If you're at sites that are optimized for Firefox, I would suggest the issue is with those sites, not OmniWeb. Firefox is still in the minority. It's very sad these sites are optimizing themselves for Firefox. For years people optimized sites for IE and look where that got us. Sure there are some features that work in FF and not OW, but WebKit still has some way to go.

I own several copies of OW. I still use other browsers as well. There's two toolbars I use for Firefox. If the features OW currently has aren't of interest to you, don't buy it as OmniWeb isn't for you. There are tons of features in OW that don't exist in other browsers, so that's why I pay for it.
 
First, what version of OmniWeb are you actually using? If it is 5.1.3 or earlier, then you will experience problems. If it is the 5.5 sneakypeek, then you may still experience problems, but they will be no worse than those of Safari. However, there is one issue that OmniWeb will suffer from that Safari will not. The sites may be browser sniffing and if they are only expecting to find an earlier version of OmniWeb they may not serve it a page with full functionality (e.g. google maps etc). Try identifying as either Safari or FireFox at those two sites and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't, does Safari also exhibit the same issues? If it does, then this is a problem with WebKit that Apple needs to solve before OmniGroup can do anything about it.
 
Quote:
If they seem loaded that's your problem, not mine.
That's true. With you operating from that position, here goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catana
I'm just stating facts.
No, actually you're not. You stated you require a browser to have "compatibility with most web sites" as if OW isn't. That's not true.

You're stating opinions with a few facts mixed in.

Quote:
I don't expect OW to work with sites that are optimized for Firefox, but if you add those to the ones that should be accessible, it makes the investment in OW kind of iffy.
In your opinion, yes. As a fact, no. As I pointed out, for me the features OW offers make it a valuable investment.

Quote:
Wordpress is pretty universal and so is Live Journal, but OW does not bring up their editing tool bars.
How so? This is just a (educated) guess, but the vast majority of sites don't use either Wordpress or Live Journal (and LJ is just one site.) This seems to be another instance of your "facts" really just being a opinion. And that opinion is not only a rash generalization, but false.

Quote:
It would help if you'd actually read what I said.
News Flash: I did.

It would help if you kept the basis for some of your statements within the realms of reality, rather than just making stuff up.

Seriously, if you want your opinion heard, don't make stuff up.

Quote:
What I hoped for, coming here, was that someone on the Omni staff would answer.
The main use of this forum is users helping users. So if you're going to post and take the position of "that's your problem, not mine" then you'll reap what you sow. If you have support issues you want addressed, you can use the feedback option from within OmniWeb. The Omni staff doesn't answer every thread on this board.
 
I didn't really want to get involved in this thread because I don't think I can really tell others why they ought to buy my software instead of using the free ones if they don't see the reasons for themselves.

I think the number one reason to buy OmniWeb is to support innovation--OmniWeb has introduced numerous features that have been copied by other browsers: for example, drag-and-drop links, ad blocking, popup blocking, javascript debugger, and thumbnail tabs,. We also have features that other browsers have yet to copy: zoomed form editing, edit/redisplay source, persistent workspaces. And we plan to continue innovating in the future.

We are not the most compatible web browser because we are not the most popular. We do want to be more compatible and 5.5 has made a lot of improvements on that front. But if you really wanted the most compatible web browser, you would probably be better off running IE on Windows.
 
I downloaded the most recent version just two days ago. The one time I tried identifying it as Firefox, it didn't work. I've deleted it now and won't be trying again. As for the suggestion that I switch to Windows and IE if I want better compatibility, that's a really offensive response, especially from an Omni rep. I've never found a site that Firefox couldn't handle, so I'll stick with it and forego the innovative features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
First, what version of OmniWeb are you actually using? If it is 5.1.3 or earlier, then you will experience problems. If it is the 5.5 sneakypeek, then you may still experience problems, but they will be no worse than those of Safari. However, there is one issue that OmniWeb will suffer from that Safari will not. The sites may be browser sniffing and if they are only expecting to find an earlier version of OmniWeb they may not serve it a page with full functionality (e.g. google maps etc). Try identifying as either Safari or FireFox at those two sites and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't, does Safari also exhibit the same issues? If it does, then this is a problem with WebKit that Apple needs to solve before OmniGroup can do anything about it.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catana
I downloaded the most recent version just two days ago. The one time I tried identifying it as Firefox, it didn't work. I've deleted it now and won't be trying again. As for the suggestion that I switch to Windows and IE if I want better compatibility, that's a really offensive response, especially from an Omni rep. I've never found a site that Firefox couldn't handle, so I'll stick with it and forego the innovative features.
There was a reason JKT asked you what version you downloaded. You're posting in the OW general board. You not answering that question is to your own detriment. Had this been in the OW sneaky peek board, one could more easily assume you had downloaded 5.5 SP17. As it is, it sounds like you downloaded 5.1.3.

As of two days ago, 5.1.3 was the latest pubic release and 5.5 SP17 was the latest "private" beta release. And as a member of this forum, you can download the beta. JKT spelled out a taste of the difference between the two. If you read some of the other posts on this forum, you will see the raves about 5.5 coming from people who found 5.1.3 not cutting it for them.

Your first posts in this board being laced with extremely biased opinions labeled as "facts" and ignoring those who are thoughtfully trying to help you (JKT), just smells of troll.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catana
As for the suggestion that I switch to Windows and IE if I want better compatibility, that's a really offensive response[...]
I did not intend to offend--my point was that there is a reason to use a Mac, even tho windows is more compatible (and more popular). Similarly there is a reason to use OmniWeb even tho Firefox is more compatible and more popular. OmniWeb is the more Mac-like of the browsers. The emphasis is on integration with the environment and user experience--just like the Mac.

As we say on our website:

Quote:
Why OmniWeb?
You're a Mac fan, right? When people ask you why you like the Mac, you probably think of the attention to detail that makes the Mac user experience superior. It's the sum of a lot of different things that add up to a system that's more powerful, more beautiful, and more fun.

What if you thought of a web browser in the same way? You use a web browser all the time, for working, for entertainment, for research; how cool would it be if every time you used it, you thought "Wow, this rules!"

Welcome to OmniWeb. OmniWeb elevates your web user experience to be more productive, more efficient, and more fun. You'll find information more quickly. You'll stay organized. You'll see the entire internet the way you choose. It's the browser that puts you in control.

Sure, you can use a standard web browser, with standard features. But you didn't choose a standard software experience - you chose the Mac. Why not try a browser built just for discriminating people with fabulous taste, like yourself?
You may or may not feel that we are have achieved our goals--or your goals for a web browser may differ--but that is reason we still make OmniWeb with all the free competition out there. And I believe that is why we still sell many copies every single day.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.