Just wanted to let folks know that we just got this email from a developer at JungleDisk.
Folks that have previously had trouble syncing there may want to give it another try.
I wanted to let you know that we believe we have found and fixed the
source of the problem -- it was an issue in our WebDAV code; when the
HTTP authorization failed on a PUT request it wasn't clearing out the
contents of the body, which would then get read with the next request.
Thank you very much for making it possible for us to debug this
issue. We do in fact have a few Macs in the office -- I work on one
full time, thank goodness. :)