The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

create PDF with text, graphics, and links Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I use a Mac at home and a PC (reluctantly) at work. I'd like to use a Mac program to create PDF files that I'll post on the intranet at work. They need to be documents that have text, graphics, and hyperlinks to other pages and documents on our intranet. I'm not having good initial luck with OG as far as the performance of the hyperlinks are concerned. Is OG the wrong program to use for this kind of thing, or do I just need to learn more about the proper procedures? I'm a happy OF user, and I like the idea of supporting the Omni Group if they have other software that fills my needs.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

How are you creating the PDFs from OmniGraffle? By exporting or by printing. Also what issues are you having with the links in more specific detail?

Hi Jonathan - thanks for the reply.

I actually tried both. The pdf graphic seemed like it was going to work, although I want to get something that looks like a document, and the graphic looked like it just captured enough space to enclose all of the elements on the canvas. The links initially acted like links but there was an error message that I didn't capture - and it only happened the first time I tried. I will see if I can recreate it soon. The URL's are to files on our work intranet, but I opened the file on my work PC, fully logged onto the system.

The print to pdf didn't work at all - that is, the links didn't act at all like links. Is there a setting that makes sure that links from OG are turned into links in the printed pdf?

Thanks again for your response to my questions. I would really like to figure out how to make that kind of thing work, because I think I could make a lot of use of it for work projects.

Keith

I'm not sure what is meant to happen with links when printed (didn't work for me either - I would consider that a bug or missing feature as live links are possible in PDF printouts in Leopard), but for the export there are several options you can pick for what gets exported - the whole canvas, the object(s) you have selected, etc. It sounds like you were only exporting the shapes selected at the time.

This might be an unfair question, but do you think that OG is a pretty good choice for the kind of thing that I'm interested in doing here, or do you think that I should really use a different piece of software for this kind of thing?

I'm not really sure about what you've done, so my reply may be off base.

I can easily created an OG document with active links. I assume you used the Action area in OG to place a URL that's associated with each object you want to have a link.

When done, I go and EXPORT as a PDF. This works fine.

The only problems I foresee is if you are not putting a valid URL into the action button area. That may be the source of some of the problems you face (but I'm not at all sure based on your description).

It looks like my problem has to do with the fact that I need to use the resulting PDF file on a PC - on my company intranet. The document and links work as I would expect when I view/use it on my Mac. Thanks for the suggestions, though, I did get the entire canvas to print!