The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Only syncing one way Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am a newbie to this. I am using the Omni server to sync between Mac version and iPad. I cannot seem to get database from Mac to IPad. I can get iPad entries to Mac but it then put all the original Mac entries into a backup database and leaves me with only the iPad entries on the Mac.
I imagine I have set up the syncing incorrectly.
I have tried syncing over my Wifi network but it cannot see my Mac.
Are there are Help instructions I can follow and redo this. Thanks in advance for advice.

I have managed to get the syncing to work by Wifi now Ok. So if anyone was going to reply thanks.

Still have not resolved Omni Server issue

Hi,

Did you read this manual, page 44 ff. http://downloads.omnigroup.com/softw...1.5-Manual.pdf

Thanks. I will read up on the link.

It sounds like you're trying to merge two OmniFocus databases that were set up independently - the application won't do that on it's own. It assumes you want to use one database or the other on both devices, and keep them in sync from then on.

That said, it's possible to do what you're trying to do by hand. Go ahead and get the database from your iPad onto your Mac, then do the following.
  1. Select "Home" from the Finder's "Go" menu.
  2. Open the "Documents" folder, then the "OmniFocus Backups" folder.
  3. The backups in this folder are all time-stamped; double-click the one from just before you got the iPad's database onto your Mac.
  4. A new OmniFocus window should appear, showing the data that was on your Mac right before the iPad's database was synced over.
  5. You should now see two OmniFocus windows - one showing your "Real" database, and another showing the contents of the backup. Put both windows into the "All Items" perspective.
  6. You can now drag items you want to retrieve from the backup into the database that your iPad synced over.

Once you've retrieved everything from the backup, you can close both OmniFocus windows that are open. Next, restart OmniFocus; only your actual database will open up a window automatically. You can now sync the merged data back to your iPad and you should be set from here on out.

If you're still having trouble, though, our Support Ninjas are happy to lend a hand - if you send them an email at your convenience, we can help.