The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

A desperate case for tags/labels, not folders! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all,

I must admit one thing: Gmail changed my life. And one of the neat things that changed my life are labels. Finished the dilemma of the hierarchical organisation by folders. Long live the flexibility and meaningfulness of labeling my mails.

Well the same goes with actions. There is always a needless decision to be made when organising folders and trying to deal with conflicting hierarchies. Labels (or tags) offer the flexibility to see your data as you wish to and to give it the extra searchable organising info that you need.

Really, when I see folders, spots start growing all over me and I always have to remember in what folder I put this other folder that has that project.

So here is a proposal.

- all actions can be labeled (so far with folders, only projects can be organised)
- projects would have one or more default labels, which like default contexts would be added to any new action in that project
- use the same way to browse labels than del.icio.us (or tags as they call it)
- adapt search and views so that they include labels.

Please, pleeeeease, consider this!

Em

i'm not sure i understand what is meant by "labels" in this post, but i would definitely, definitely love to be able to assign/sort by/search by tags.

Agreed, iGTD has tags and it does make life very much easier to tag related projects etc. which don't always group together in a folder hierarchy. It's not a show-stopper, but it is very useful.

This would be a killer feature! I would love to see this happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome View Post
i'm not sure i understand what is meant by "labels" in this post, but i would definitely, definitely love to be able to assign/sort by/search by tags.
Labels are just like tags. It is the way they are called in Gmail, that's all... The way Gmail uses it is very powerful!

i agree labels/tags would be a most welcome addition to focus. one nice thing about it is that they give folks the ability to use them if necessary, but could coexist and even be completely ignored if one did not want to use them. this would dovetail nicely with the current UI without screwing up the legibility of the very elegantly implemented folder hierarchy.

-stefan

It's hard to think of a new app that's come out recently that doesn't support tagging.

I have 2 questions for Omnifocus.

My understanding is that one can have his projects and tasks being synced between computers and devices.
Is this assumption correct ?

If yes, can I selectively sync only the items i want (in case of a family where some projects / tasks are family ones but i would also want to retain my own).

If I have a macbook and an iMac, would i require 2 licenses or 1 ?

Finally, is there any timeline of when Tags will be supported ?
This is for me the only big feature missing. Actually Tags can work as contexts also but Contexts cannot be Tags (due to the fact that i can only attach one context to each task).

PS. Funny thing, I can see a field for tags just below on the forum :-)
Thank You

Closing this thread (and similar ones in the other OmniFocus forums) in favor of the consolidated thread for this topic.