The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

White Shadow Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,
is there a way to create a white shadow around a text?

I'm adding labels to lines, and the labels are difficult to read, when written black on black lines. Since the background is white, using a white font color is not an option. Is there a way to add "outline" a font with a white "halo" or "shadow"?

For now, I'm gonna use an outlined font, but I couldn't find one which looks simple. They're all quite fancy.

The perfect solution would be to outline the text just line the street names in google maps: some sort of white halo around the text, very tight.

Greetings,

Last edited by Kaz219; 2013-02-17 at 09:58 PM..

I found the shadow inspector (thought it was only for shapes), where I can set the color. Unfortunately, it doesn't help. The white shadow is not casted on the line, so the text still look like striked through...

Outlined fonts are really not lisible so I give up and use a white background with 80% of opacity for the text. Still not great, since the bakcground is much too big and sometimes overlap with other objects. Most of all when the text is vertical.

Or maybe somebody knows of a font with a white "outlining"?

To have shadows lie over other objects, you need to click the following button in the Shadows inspector pane:

The object (be it text or anything else) will have to be in front of the one below for it to work, such as your line.

Thank you for the answer. The white shadow was so light I thought it wasn't working.

My problem is that the text in the attachment is barely readable. The white shadow (no offset, middle value for blur) is almost unnoticeable.

Any idea how to make it readable? Some way of making the shadow thicker? I don't want to a background, which would overlap with the neighbours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	668
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	871  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz219 View Post
Or maybe somebody knows of a font with a white "outlining"?
AW Conqueror Carved Two is an outline font, white with a black outline. I haven't played with it at all though you might be able to set the outline to white and the fill to black. The other thing is it's all caps, but that might not be what you want.

Hello,

that’s a good idea, but it doesn’t work. Fonts have only one color as far as I know:

In the case of the Conqueror Carved Two, I can choose the color of the outline, but the inside of the letter will have the same color as the background, which doesn't help me:
– either I put it in white and it’s readable on a non-white background but then it’s not readable on a white background
– or I put it in black, but that doesn’t help when overlapping black lines.

But thanks anyway!

I tried to reproduce your issue but perhaps I'm not understanding your issue clearly? I see no issue with visibility of text labels on lines using black lines and black text. Can you be more specific or provide an example?