The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can on-hold projects "wake up"? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a way to have my on-hold projects not be displayed until a certain date? For example, if I set a start date for a project, and set it to on-hold, will it "wake up" and become active when that date is reached?

If not, is there a way to get this kind of functionality with certain filters?

Why not just set a start date? It won't be displayed when using the Available filter for active contexts.

Another possibility is to define as on-hold and set a next review date. Are you doing reviews?

Last edited by pvonk; 2007-08-27 at 04:39 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk View Post
Why not just set a start date? It won't be displayed when using the Available filter for active contexts.
But it is displayed in the projects sidebar and the project view. In the other thread BZ mentions, I argue for "Active Projects" not showing projects with future start dates. I think that would solve the problem nicely without having time-based change of the project state.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
In the other thread BZ mentions, I argue for "Active Projects" not showing projects with future start dates. I think that would solve the problem nicely without having time-based change of the project state.
On reflection, I think that is the best solution, despite what I wrote in that thread. Perhaps "Pending Projects" should include those with a future start date that are not marked "On Hold."

Yeah, I would like

All Projects - Everything
Active Project - Projects that have a start date that has passed
Pending Projects - Projects that have a start date that has NOT passed
On Hold Projects - Projects on hold
Dropped Projects - Projects that have been dropped
Completed Projects - Projects that have been completed

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
Yeah, I would like

BZ
It's getting complicated, but I would also like a view that showed all projects EXCEPT Dropped and Completed. I would find that much more useful at review time than the "All Projects" you describe.

I second that, Craig (and sent it to the feedback).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
Yeah, I would like

Similar functionality showed up unannounced today. It seems that only active projects without start dates or with start dates in the past appear in the Active filter. All those projects, plus those with future start dates appear in the Pending filter.

I also have a couple of projects that don't show in Active filter even though the projects don't have a start date. It appears the OF is looking at the start dates of contained tasks. This is unexpected and the implementation is buggy. Both of these projects include actions that are available now. There are just other parallel actions that start in the future.

An active project without a start date should show up in the Active Projects filter regardless of the start dates of the contained tasks.

[sent as formal feedback]

Edit: This is fixed now. See August 30, Message of the Day.

Curt

Last edited by curt.clifton; 2007-09-02 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: noted fix, corrected verb conjugation

It's here, and it's fantastic! I did a quick run-through of my projects yesterday, bumping undoable my projects up to a date where they're feasible. My Organize (Library Project Whatever) view is now exactly what I want to be thinking about at any particular time. It's amazing how such a little change can make such a huge improvement.

This is going to be an amazing product when it gets to production. If there was any doubt before, OF is the best task tool I've ever used.