The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iDisk/MobileMe/.Mac Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BUG: extremely slow sync time to iDisk Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Omni Response:

We have tracked down a bug that causes slow syncs and are actively exterminating it as I type. We hope to have a fix for the iPhone in 1.0.3 and a fix for the Mac in a SneakyPeek coming soon to a software update check near you.
Original User Question:I've been using the 1.1 alphas for ten days or so now and just in the last couple of days, I've noticed that iDisk syncing has gotten extremely slow, on the order of 15-20 minutes. My .ofocus document is around 1.3mb.

I've noticed that CPU load spikes when doing the syncing and stays that way for the full 15-20 minutes it takes to sync.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there anyway to debug this?

Last edited by Lizard; 2008-08-04 at 11:13 AM..

Same with me. I am using Mobile Me, and I cannot get either the desktop or iphone to finish a sync right now. Currently my desktop has been sync'ing for over 20 minutes. I won't even try my iphone right now.

Here's a few starting points:

Use these steps to make sure your database isn't unnecessarily large: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...8&postcount=17

Also make sure you've grabbed the latest build. (Check for Updates in the File menu.)

Check for error messages in the Console.

I followed those steps and am on the latest build and it doesn't seem to have helped. There aren't any error messages on the console.

Is there any logging I can turn on to see what it's doing?

That was a huge help. I had tons of .zip files and clients in my MobileMe directory. I removed them all and re-sync'ed. Everything synchronized. Thanks.

Actually, I spoke too soon. It chugged away for about an hour, but then reduced to a single zip file in the directory on my iDisk. It's gotten much faster now and I think now I understand how it's working. I moved some projects around and I'd bet that just created a lot of separate transactions which had to be resolved.

Thanks for the help!

Actually, that didn't help. After the first quick sync, it just spins without completion. Nothing in the console error logs either.

When you're stalled you can take a sample in Activity Monitor. You can also turn on more debugging by doing the following:

1) Quit OmniFocus
2) Type the following line into Terminal and press return:
Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus XMLFileManagerDebug -bool YES
3) Launch OmniFocus again

Here is the tail from the log in Activity Monitor. The first sync after cleaning up the server disk was 20 seconds, the second has been running for almost 2 hours straight.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Sample of OmniFocus.txt (13.6 KB, 1637 views)

Thanks for the sample. Hopefully one of our engineers will be able to sort it out. If it's been going for 2 hours, it seems unlikely it's going to complete.... It might be worth killing that sync and starting fresh after turning on the XMLFileManagerDebug preference.