The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Next Action within Contexts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm just starting with OmniFocus and not sure if there've been a discussion on it.
But consider the example:

I've got a parallel project and a few tasks within it with different assigned contexts.
Project 1:
Task 1 - Context 1
Task 2 - Context 2

However, when I go to Context 2 with a filter "Next Action" I won't see the "Task 1", because it's considered the next action for the project 1 among all the contexts.
Thus, if I want my parallel project to move forward task by task, I won't be able to see the real next available action for me (considering the context)
Isn't it better to consider "Next Actions" depending on the context?

Using "available" filter doesn't make sense here, because consider this:
Project 1:
Task 1 - Context 1
Task 2 - Context 2
Task 3 - Context 2
Task 4 - Context 2

So, task 1 is still the next action, but within the context 2 I have no next actions but 3 available. So, if I turn this filter on, I'll be overwhelmed by the amount of actions that will appear.

Right now, next actions are determined on a per-project basis, rather than per-context. The logic here is that the next available action for a project is the "next action" you'd want to do. So when you use the next action filter in Context mode, you'll only see the next actions for each project.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a workaround for what you describe. If you'd like to file a feature request, feel free to email us. Thanks!