The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Some due dates and contexts going missing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am syncing to my iPhone 3G with the most recent version of OmniFocus via MobileMe, and I've noticed a couple of actions have had their due dates and contexts stripped from them once synced to the iPhone. The badge count will remain correct. Say for example, that I have a two items due today in a "Home" context. If I go into the Contexts view on the iPhone client, I will see Home with a "2" next to it, correctly indicating that I have 2 items in that context due today. However, once I view the Home context, I only see one action in red. In fact, the other action isn't shown at all. I have to go back to the Projects view to find the action that has had its due date and context go missing.

Did you check the item to see if the due date and/or context was actually missing? I've seen a few cases where not every action would be shown on the iPhone/iPod though it would be on the desktop, but I have never seen an action that had been completely saved on the desktop at the time of the sync lose any information in the sync process (and in the cases where it wasn't completely saved, the next sync cycle sent the rest of the information across). I'm inclined to think this is probably a case of the iPhone client just not displaying in the fashion you expect -- not that that isn't necessarily a bug, but the sync code may be the wrong place for the engineer to be looking to fix it.

I tried resyncing the iphone version several times, and it did not bring the information across. I just looked at the desktop version, after syncing back up, and the context appears, however, the due date does not. So while the context was only lost on the iphone version, the due date is now gone from both.

Forgive me for belaboring the point, but did you actually go view the offending item on the iPhone and verify that it did not have a context or due date set? Just because it doesn't appear in the listing of actions for the context hasn't always been proof that no context was set...

Are the actions with missing data in sequential projects, or parallel? If sequential, are they the first action in the sequence?

Good questions. In viewing the details for the offending item, the context does appear to be set. The due date, however, is not set. It is in a parallel project, however, and the start date is earlier than yesterday, when the problem occurred, so the item is available, and does show as such (bold, black text), however, it did not appear in the Contexts view for that context, and I have Contexts set to show "Available" in the preferences.

Give Omni customer service a call (+1-800-315-6664 or +1 206-523-4152) and ask them for some suggestions -- they may want a copy of your database to examine the transaction history, and you'll want to do that promptly before it gets compacted and loses the history.

Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience! Is it possible that the actions in question had outstanding edits on both the iPhone and Mac at some point? If so, it's possible this post explains what you saw.

If you don't think that's what happened, the best thing to do would be to zip up your database and email it to the support ninjas. We can look at your transaction tree and see exactly what happened. (So if there's a bug this will help us track it down and fix it.)

Last edited by Brian; 2009-07-14 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: add info on why sending database is valuable