The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Is there a way to convert Action<->Project? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I find that sometimes when a project is complete, I'd like to change it to an action... and sometimes vice-versa. Can I do this?

peter

Converting an action to a project is simple enough: Just drag it from the main actions window over to the projects sidebar where you would like the project to appear, and it will become a project.

I don't think you can the other way, however (turning a project back into an action).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
I don't think you can the other way, however (turning a project back into an action).
Sure you can, just drag the project onto another project or a single-action list. It will become an action group. (If the project had no children, then it would become an action.)

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Sure you can, just drag the project onto another project or a single-action list. It will become an action group. (If the project had no children, then it would become an action.)
Well, look at that... Thanks for the tip.... When I tried it I was trying to drag the project into the actions window, which definitely doesn't work, and I guess I wasn't precise enough with drag in the project list, as I just ended up reorganizing the projects themselves. Now that you've explained it and I've tried it again, of course it makes perfect sense... :)

thanks jdh, curt, malisa - golden tips for this newbie! :-)

peter

OK - here's another...

how to turn a folder into a project and vice versa?

:-)

PETER

OK - here's another...

how to turn a folder into a project and vice versa?

:-)

PETER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
Converting an action to a project is simple enough: Just drag it from the main actions window over to the projects sidebar where you would like the project to appear, and it will become a project.

Worked for me...thanks!

I made a project, but then realized that rather than 1 project, I had 4 related projects that I wanted in a folder. In the sidebar, I control-clicked on the project and one of the options was group in new folder. That was exactly what I wanted to do (or would have if I had created more than one of these already.

This is an old thread that pre-dates my use of OmniFocus, so I hadn't seen this before. It's very cool.

Is there somewhere that these tips and tricks are compiled?

Hello folks,

First time poster. I use a couple of keyboard shortcuts for this manoeuvre.

Cmd-4 will move the focus to the sidebar.
Ctrl-Cmd-Arrows will perform outlining movements.

So, if from the Inbox I highlight a task line, press Ctrl-Cmd-Left, it'll appear as a new project in the sidebar (assuming I'm in planning mode).

If you then use Cmd-4 to focus on the sidebar, you can use Ctrl-Cmd-Up to move that new project into any folder in that list.

You might need to use Ctrl-Cmd-Right to make it obey the tree depth, but it seems to work nicely. Might make a TextExpander snippet bound to an unused F-key to make that a macro.

Hope that helps