The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

linked images lost Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I often bring my work home and I use Omnigraffle for all my flowcharting work. The flowcharts I create are huge - 42" x 100+", and I create dozens of them. The flowcharts incorporate screen shots of a UI I'm working on and there are hundreds of these images in each file. To keep the file sizes low, I don't embed the images into the document, I link to the images instead. This works great until I try to bring the Graffle files home. I typically zip the whole lot (files and images) together to keep all the images in exactly the same folder structure, and copy it onto a thumb drive. Unfortunately, all the links are lost when I unzip and open the Graffle files on my computer at home, and all my screen shots are gone. I wind up with files with hundreds of empty boxes and I'm unable to work. Is there a fix for this? Do image links use relative path names or do they follow a computer-specific path?

Thanks!

Apparently the image links are root paths.

So, if you recreate the path that the original file was created on a different computer, then the image links will work.

For example:
When creating a file with linked images (in the same directory), the path might be
/Users/mars/Desktop/Local Work/Project/chart.graffle
So, image links will continue to work, if on any computer where the file is used, it is still located at that path.

Inconvenient yes, but an *ss-saver indeed.

*Mars