The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Wonky address bar Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm not sure this is a bug, but it seems like it should be.. I think. Anyway.

1. Copy a link and paste it in the Address Bar. *Do not* go to the site, just leave the link pasted there.

2. Drag an URL into the browser window. You'll see that OW navigates to site B, but site A's URL is still in the Address Bar.

3. Refresh the page. This is the step where *I think* other browsers will figure out that what's being displayed isn't what's in the Address Bar, and they'll fix it so that the correct URL is displayed. OW doesn't. The page is refreshed, but the Address Bar retains the pasted (incorrect) URL.

Further testing reveals:

- Camino behaves as OW does, exactly.
- Opera will change the URL in the Address Bar at step 2 above.
- Safari will change the URL in the Address Bar at step 2 above.
- BonEcho (Intel-optimised Firefox 2 build) will change the URL in the Address Bar at step 2 above.

So Camino and OW appear to be misbehaving.

Thanks for reading. =)

I actually prefer they way the OW works. There are a lot of sites which redirect, refresh... and I absolutely dislike it when a browser changes the contents of the URL bar while I'm typing in it.

To give you an extreme example, I've setup a page at http://home.comcast.net/~filehost/og/refresh.html

Try that in different browsers, and attempt to type in the address bar. Try to type in "forums.omnigroup.com" and let me know how successful you are.

Excellent point. I see what you mean (thanks for the example) and you've changed my mind. Bug or not, I do now prefer the way OW works.