The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tab drawer on wrong side. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The tab drawer seems to have a hard time to follow my preferences setting for opening the drawer on the left side of the window. This is something that have happen before and I don't really understand how it comes that this can't be done in a bulletproof way by the omni devs?

Is there some kind of HAL 9000 stuff implemented in the drawer opening mechanism ;)

I have changed workspace setting, but it comes back. I dont want to trash my plist-files since there are other stuff there as far as I know. If OW manage to keep my settings it shouldn't be too difficult to always have something to check that setting and by force and by eliminating other options push the drawer according to the existing setting. Or am I missing something here? Or is just happening to me perhaps?

I think you need to take a look at this again. In my view there have to be a simple way to make the opening bullet proof. Perhaps by brute force such as disabling one of the to options a drawer can choose from? One can argue that this is a bit over kill but it isn't as long as the problem exist for me as a user. It is irritating to have to close a newly opened multi tabbed window several times a day because OW insist on opening the drawer at the wrong side almost by random choice.

If a drawer is opening on the wrong side it is happening for one of two possible reasons:

1. The window is located to close to the 'wrong' edge of the screen in which case there isn't enough space for the drawer to occupy if it opens in that direction, or

2. The side it opens on has been saved by your snapshot in your Workspace.

Either way, press option as you toggle the tab drawer icon in the toolbar and it will open it on the other side for you.

Note, 1. shouldn't happen in OmniWeb in any situation - it will move the window to the side so that the drawer opens on the one designated.

If it is because of 2. re-take your snapshot when the drawer is on the side you want it.

Thank's for the help!

The thing is that I have taken snapshots with the correct sided drawer and I agree about the 'to far on the wrong side' effect that my preference setting should over ride this and always open at the side I've chosen. If that's what you mean?

OmniWeb is tiling the windows exactly as I think it should. That is side ways if the windows fills the height of the space under the main menu. I also think that a chosen preference should over ride any change of opening side OmniWeb does as an effect of being placed or being tiled over at the side were a change would be wanted in some circumstances.

I might have missed something here about wich takes precedence, preference setting or proximity to either side of the screen? If that's the case I would like a preference named something like 'Drawer always open at left/right' were "always" is the keyword. Always as in 'no matter workspace snapshot' and 'no matter window position' or shortly as in 'no matter what'. That's what I believe would be a good solution. I always set my preferences on any fresh install of OmniWeb and I always chose the left side and yet the drawer sometimes end up at the right side. It might do that as an effect of something working as it should but then it is a bit too easy to misinterpret the preference settings?

A setting that change between; a preferred side but let OmniWeb pick the best side according to the position and; a forced side 'always, no matter what', is another suggestion? I don't mean these suggestions to be taken literarily but rather as further description of what I think is a bug or perhaps not being the greatest implementation of a feature in the otherwise best web browser imo.

I hope the somewhat lengthy post isn't annoyingly picky about the subject? I felt that seeking perfection is in line with what's going on here at OmniGroup since I could not see any other way one could reach the result you have with your great software products!

Interestingly, I do get some buggy behaviour when minimising a just-opened auto-restore session...the tab drawer doesn't 'un-minimise' with the application - but appears in Expose. Minimising and restoring again fixes it, as does hiding/showing the tab bar. Still functions, just disappears! Sorry it's off-topic.

The drawer should disappear when a window is some were between the start of minimizing and the end of it and return when the window is fully back from Dock. There have been some strange behaviours in the past irr.

I don't get the appears in Exposé part? Minimizing to Dock is not part of the Exposé functions and perhaps you mean some Exposé function when you say "minimising"? I would predict a fix for any drawer bug of this kind to come as soon as OmniWeb get a user interface update with some later stuff incorporated. The drawer is rather old by now, not meaning anything other than that it is old.

A step by step instruction would help for reproducing the bug. I did however manage to get window with a wrong sided drawer among several others with correct sided drawers. I can't really tell what made this since I found it under another window, but the other windows did not change the drawer side regardless of being far over at the side were this could happen from auto sensing. It is a bit strange that a window suddenly decide to change the drawer icon and with it the side of the drawer. To be clear, this only happen to windows with closed drawers.

I'll keep a closer eye on it next time it happens (!). When I say appears in Expose, I just meant (should have elaborated) that the drawer appears as a separate window in the grid of windows (when this bug is occurring, not normally).

Hmm...could be something on my system I suppose - but I agree that the drawer appears/disappears as I'd expect - about 1/4 of the way through minimising. I'll have another look this evening.

I suppose (!) it could be another argument for a drawer alternative inside the main window - i.e. a panel...!

Unfortunately I have forgotten were I saw an article describing some strange behaviours with drawers and minimizing.

I can elaborate without being sure of much of anything here or without even have a clear picture of it myself. When a window is minimized it still runs and sort of works as a real window. By holding down the shift key when clicking the yellow minus-signed 'Minimize Window' button it is possible to see how everything keeps running inside it. It should be possible to fill the keyboard input buffer fast (with slow input key rate perhaps) and see how a text view still keeps on being filled with characters when it is on its way down to Dock. So there seems to be a smooth transition from full size over to minimized and back again since everything seems to be running just fine even if the window get minimized.

However the drawer seems to be hooked up to a window in full size mode in a way were they are inseparable. The drawer is however its own panel and sometimes there seems to be circumstances were full size, minimized and Exposé isn't really compatible in such a way that a transition from one to the other always keeps the state in wich the drawer is located related to its window. The minimizing effect handles this by just skip the drawer. Exposé however keeps rendering the drawer and it is here things sometimes go wrong. When holding down shift and pressing F9 or F10 and mixtring with the windows when they swoops in and out sometimes ends up with a loose drawer. One that is not hooked up to the window anymore. However this is in an unconditional state and doesn't leave the drawer for the user to handle as it would be truly free. Somewhere the relation between the drawer and the window still exist. It just didn't made the transition from one state to the other with the rest of the window.

This bug is in my experience rarely triggered. It is a bug, no doubt about it but it, but it get triggered so seldom and has been around for so long I'm almost sure it isn't going to be fixed by Apple. It is an Apple-bug that should be handled by Apple. However the drawer in itself is kind of old stuff today so we better wait for what the Omni-devs incorporate as a replacement when they do it. I don't think this particular bug is a either a nasty one or irritating since it is harmless and it doesn't show itself very often.

I think what you are describing is more or less the same as this one or strongly related to it. But I'm not sure of course.

An excellent description - thanks for the clarity. Definitely strongly related to what I occasionally experience, and yes, let's leave the developers to produce a 'better' solution rather than trying to fix this tiny bug - as you say it's an Apple issue anyway.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
If a drawer is opening on the wrong side it is happening for one of two possible reasons:

1. The window is located to close to the 'wrong' edge of the screen in which case there isn't enough space for the drawer to occupy if it opens in that direction, or
This is not correct. If the window is located too close to the "wrong" edge of the screen, the window will be moved the required distance so that the drawer can open on the side that you have set. Closing the drawer will move the window back again.

At least, that's what it does on my machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
2. The side it opens on has been saved by your snapshot in your Workspace.
Whilst this is true, there does seem to be a bug in that even if your workspace snapshot hasn't saved the drawer opening on the "wrong" side, you can still sometimes get the drawer on the wrong side.

On my machine, if you close all open windows, quit OmniWeb and then relaunch OmniWeb, the first new window that you create will have the drawer open on the wrong side. But only sometimes. There must be some other requirement to trigger the bug but I've never been able to figure out what it is. Close that window and open a new one, and the drawer is back to the correct side.

The bug has been in OmniWeb from the very beginning of version 5.

Last edited by Mr. H; 2008-05-15 at 02:40 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post
Whilst this is true, there does seem to be a bug in that even if your workspace snapshot hasn't saved the drawer opening on the "wrong" side, you can still sometimes get the drawer on the wrong side.

On my machine, if you close all open windows, quit OmniWeb and then relaunch OmniWeb, the first new window that you create will have the drawer open on the wrong side. But only sometimes. There must be some other requirement to trigger the bug but I've never been able to figure out what it is. Close that window and open a new one, and the drawer is back to the correct side.

The bug has been in OmniWeb from the very beginning of version 5.
This is exactly what I am experience. Right now I have a 'Default' Workspace which I take a snapshot off with a window set with a correct drawer icon and then quit OmniWeb. When launching Omniweb again the icon first shortly shows itself with a correct sided icon and then switches to the wrong side and therefore opens the drawer on the wrong side. Every other new window is correct however. Even if I try to make a new Workspace and delete the old 'Default' and rename my new one to 'Default' the bug is there again when launching OmniWeb.

This is irritating since such a (in my view) simple thing just doesn't do what I repeatedly try to set it to do. Holding down the option key for the first window works, but I do daily things rather fast and often end up with a multi tabbed window loading on the wrong side because I wrongly trust OmniWeb to function as one could suppose.