The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Arrows Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello there,

Is it possible to draw arrows like these on in OG:

Maybe I'd even like/have to add additional little arrows within the large arrows.

Haven't found s.th. like this in OG standard 4.2.1, the standard arrows don't look very nice.

You could make a picture look exactly like that in Graffle, but they'd be shapes, not arrows. I'm not sure if you really need them to be arrows (lines with special endings) instead of shapes. Here's a very rough imitation I made in Graffle. With more patience, I could get closer to what you showed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	circleArrows.png
Views:	710
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	284  

Thanks Lizard!

What shape did you use? I can't figure out how to get the bending.

I started with 2 circles, arranged as a donut. Then I used Edit > Shapes > Subtract to turn it into a donut. Then I used Subtract again with a couple rectangles to chop off most of 2/3 of the circle. I put a triangle in the right place and then used Edit > Shapes > Union to "glue" it onto the arc. Now you have one curved arrow. Then it's just a matter of making a couple copies, rotating them and coloring each one the way you want it.

Last edited by Lizard; 2007-09-19 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: said "intersect", meant "union"

Subtract is a 'pro' feature, joker is using standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblomow View Post
Subtract is a 'pro' feature, joker is using standard.
That's right, there's no subtract feature in OG standard. :-(

Maybe there's another way to do it. Too bad I'm sitting at a Windows machine now and can't try it.

Oops! My bad. Can't think of a way to do it without subtracting shapes, unless you can find something on GraffleTopia. Sorry.

Hello again,

I need to draw these kind of things for illustrations in my master thesis, so I upgraded to OmniGraffle Pro.

However, I still don't get the

"I put a triangle in the right place and then used Edit > Shapes > Union to "glue" it onto the arc."

part.

How do you put the triangle in the right place?
When I try it, I find it very difficult to put the tiangle centrical to the line shape.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Once I got the triangle in almost the right place, I selected it and then "nudged" it by pressing arrow keys to move it a pixel or so at a time. You may have to overlap the arc and triangle slightly to get the Union command to work properly -- it's a touch fussy.

Also, in the Properties > Geometry inspector, if you rotate the triangles you create, you can move the cursor away from the rotation wheel as you rotate, so you can get finer control.