The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniWeb 5.6 Sneaky Peeks now available! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc
I was a bit surprised, given some of the issues I've seen with the last couple of alphas, to see
OmniWeb 5.6 beta 1 (17.0 MB)
listed in the RSS feed. But the URL is wrong,
/applications/omniweb/beta/
and the Release Notes link in the post (http://www.omnigroup.com/application..._releasenotes/) redirects to the page for 5.5.4.

Was the beta announcement a mistake?
This was our bad, we've updated the appcast feed to show beta and final releases as well but this 'fake' beta release snuck through. It should be gone from the feed shortly.

OW seems to have flash video problems (i.e. not playing) which I suspect is a webkit problem. The latest webkit build is able to play videos on CNN. I hope this is fixed soon.

Flash should work in OmniWeb. Make sure your "Ad Block" settings aren't getting in the way. If you have an example page that would be helpful.

Thanks!

Thanks. For the most part Flash does work. Sometimes, just a small bit of flash based stuff doesn't like on ESPN.com. That little flash menu beneath the lead in doesn't seem to display for me even after removing adblock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdog75
on ESPN.com. That little flash menu beneath the lead in doesn't seem to display for me even after removing adblock.
What do you mean, exactly?

If you mean the yellow menus that drop out of the black buttons, that's not Flash, it's javascript. And they work fine for me, as does AFAICT the rest of that page.

And the ESPN "video player" launches and plays all the videos.

And I have ad blocking ON, set for known sizes and blocked URLs (I never use the third option).

Last edited by Handycam; 2007-07-11 at 03:59 PM..

I just noticed that OW still has problems with caching files. Developping a Flash-based site that reads all texts from various XML files is not possible using OW 5.6 SP4 to test, because OW is incredibly stubborn in not fetching the lastest XML file from the server, and always uses an old cached version instead (even though I set validate cached content to "always").

Back to Opera, and disappointment.

OW 5.6 often uses a huge amount of memory and resources ...

99 % of processor and 880 Mb of memory for 12 tabs open ....

Safari or Camino with exactly the same web pages open will not use so much ! And on these 2 browsers, ads are not filtered !

I think it depends on what is in the tabs -- at least for the CPU usage. I have had Safari bring my whole system to its knees due to one particular webpage (javascript related?) causing problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcoreUFO
I think it depends on what is in the tabs -- at least for the CPU usage. I have had Safari bring my whole system to its knees due to one particular webpage (javascript related?) causing problems.
Maybe, but it happens ONLY with Omnbiweb since with the EXACTLY SAME pages open in tabs too in both Camino and Safari didn't make any problems, knowing that Safari 2 uses an older version of WebKit.

Does it happen in the equivalent WebKit as OmniWeb 5.6 sp?