The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Setting Action status for On Hold Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I handle actions "on hold" by the following method:
Created a CONTEXT called "Pending" (You can make your own contexts and call them whatever you want - you may want to have a context "Hold" or "Waiting" if you prefer).
You can always sort by Contexts if you wish.
Hope this helps.

These ideas are all "workarounds" for a missing feature.

Moving things to a "waiting" project or context means that they are not hidden from MY task list. When I review my list of tasks, my brain still has to scan across to see if this task is actionable by me.

As the GTD book re-iterates, My task list should only show tasks I can actually do. I get brain fatigue when I look at my list because I have to re-processess each item again to work out if it is actionable.

So in GTD book terms, my action list is still like an inbox, i need to re-think every action every time I look at my task list!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydoras View Post
Moving things to a "waiting" project or context means that they are not hidden from MY task list.
If you move an action to a project or context which you've placed on hold, they will be hidden from your task list. Does that address your concern?

That said, we are planning to add the ability to put individual actions on hold in v2.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydoras View Post
These ideas are all "workarounds" for a missing feature.

Moving things to a "waiting" project or context means that they are not hidden from MY task list. When I review my list of tasks, my brain still has to scan across to see if this task is actionable by me.

As the GTD book re-iterates, My task list should only show tasks I can actually do. I get brain fatigue when I look at my list because I have to re-processess each item again to work out if it is actionable.

So in GTD book terms, my action list is still like an inbox, i need to re-think every action every time I look at my task list!!
Putting a start date on an action removes it from view until the start date arrives, if you view Available actions. You can keep it right there where it belongs in its project and context. It will be a little more convenient when the ability to put a single action on hold arrives, but it isn't going to change your life.

Surely you don't think that you're the only one who has ever read Getting Things Done and applied it with OmniFocus, do you? :-)