The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

But what about Delegation... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
While I am certainly a big fan of OmniFocus, I am a bigger fan of GTD and GTD without delegation is not really GTD. When I last spoke with Ken, I had expressed a sincere hope that delegation was going to become a reality in OmniFocus. We (taking the gross liberty of speaking for everyone else) need a means of effective team member delegation with followup in OmniFocus far more than contexts. Please encourage OMNI to produce the GTD Omnibus--a version of OmniFocus that can manage the four D's.

I can't speak for the Omnigroup but I think that OF will stay a single-user program while OmniPlan will have more of the delegation features.

OmniPlan seems to have more collaborative features such as delegation and followup.

maybe more info can be found at this thread:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=19807

Why not show delegation using "contexts"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellifeesh View Post
Why not show delegation using "contexts"?
do you mean like: buy hotdogs for the party would have a context of "errands" and when you were out on an errand you would buy the hot dogs

but maybe have a context of "errands:bob" ? It seems delegation would be hard unless the group was using the same program..

If I am understanding this topic right, the only thing I would think would be everyone sits around with their OF ready and when they say -- "Jelli you have the hotdogs," maybe everyone lists it, so it is known that Jelli is doing it..

actually I am not getting how this would work with a single user program

I don't use context in a strict sense, in fact, I care little about contexts. So for me if a specific task needs to be completed by someone other than myself, then I assign their name as the context. I think maybe this is awkward for you as you still want to use context in the spirit of "GTD" aka David Allen approach? But if you delegate, who cares what your context is - you just care that the task is completed.

There could be a better way to be sure to accomodate delegation. However, Omnifocus is not "GTD" and I really don't want it to be. Its a general framework that is probably far from perfect for everyone but its simple and flexible enough to be implemented in anybody's work-flow. So a better delegation would be useful for some but software bloat for others that don't need this feature??

OF is all about me and my tasks so when I delegate I put a task into a Waiting For... context which often is followed by my next action
In the sequential Scheduling Project:
Joe turns in schedule requests @Waiting for Joe
Enter Joe's schedule requests into scheduler @Mac

If we wanted to use a group project management app then we'd go with something like Do. Then my OF task might be something like Check Do for group project status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post
OF is all about me and my tasks so when I delegate I put a task into a Waiting For... context which often is followed by my next action
In the sequential Scheduling Project:
Joe turns in schedule requests @Waiting for Joe
Enter Joe's schedule requests into scheduler @Mac

If we wanted to use a group project management app then we'd go with something like Do. Then my OF task might be something like Check Do for group project status.
Yep...that works!

"Waiting for" makes sense, because then you can understand where it has something to do with me.

If it is John's job to get advertising, and me to spend it, I don't think about it too much, until I know there is money to spend

but this kind of touches upon the defer discussion (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=29834)

Sounds like either defer or delegate is not about me know -- but ultimately it might be