The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forecast as a perspective? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The new forecast-feature on the iPhone is great. Now I asked myself if it is possible to emulate it as a perspective. For example: Show me all items that are due within the next three days (I want to have badges only for the next 24hours, though).
Is this somehow possible - I couldn't find a way to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsk View Post
The new forecast-feature on the iPhone is great. Now I asked myself if it is possible to emulate it as a perspective. For example: Show me all items that are due within the next three days (I want to have badges only for the next 24hours, though).
It's certainly possible to show all tasks that are due in the next 3 days. However, you will get badges for all of those tasks.

There's no way to get the exact analogue of the 'forecast' view right now… thought the Omni folks have said it's coming (no ETA for a date).

Actually, showing actions due only in the next 3 days would not be easy to accomplish. You could use Rob's Where in OF script, which would show you the projects containing actions due in the next 3 days, with those actions selected, but all the other actions surrounding them shown as well. It also can't be used as a dynamic view that updates itself as the data changes; you have to run the search again, unlike a perspective.

Hm, ok - thanks for your replies. Then I just have to wait.

You could just use Due perspective organized by the date, and then just look at the first 3 dates, no?

No, for that I would have to set up OmniFocus that items get Due 72 hours before they are Due. That on the other hand creates badges (in OmniFocus and the dock-icon) which I do not want. I just want to have badges for the items due in the next 24 hours[1] but I want to have a perspective where I can see the Dues for a longer space of time (like one for 3 days, one for 7 days).

[1] actually I'd like to have a Due-setting that creates only badges for today and items due the next morning until 10am but that is not possible as well. My default setting is Due at 7pm. Thus at 7:01pm I get badges for items which I do not want to take care of today. I do not like badges, they make me "nervous" and I have them switched off for most of the things in my system (like Mail, RSS etc). But this way they are really reminding me, because I do not like them and want to have them go away ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsk View Post
I totally agree with you on this and I also love the fact that you can include items starting today (although the silly thing duplicates those already due today so it looks untidy!). Mustemail this feature request to the support ninjas.

In the meantime, I create a Perspective with Due Date showing items due in the next 3 days, and flag those starting today (no other way for them to show up otherwise).

I just want to chime in here. I think the Forecast view on the iPhone app is great and something that would be a great addition to OF on the Mac.