The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repositioning of Shape Labels Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Dear all,

I'm a long-time Visio user that wants to leave his worries behind,
so I am trying to reproduce my usual "workflows" with
OmniGraffle.

One thing that I don't really get is how to reposition
shape labels (without entering numbers but only using
the mouse). This is an easy thing to do with Visio and I can't quite
believe that I am the only person who uses that
feature intensively.

Thanks in advance! Michael

Do you want all (or most) of your labels in the same place? Can you describe where you want them? I've never used Visio, so I'm afraid that comparison doesn't help me understand your needs.

I would rather be able to decide on a case by case basis. Sometimes you want the text to be above a line, sometimes below it. Sometimes the label is best positioned on the left top corner of e.g. a rectangle, sometimes it is best positioned at the center. In Visio - you would just click on the text and drag it where you want it to be.

Well, for the rectangle cases you mention, it's just a click or two on the options above the numbers to arrange for your text to hug one corner or another between the options to align the text with the top, middle or bottom of the shape, and the options to control how the text is justified. Line labels you can just slide up and down the line, and see also the options in the Geometry inspector. You can use arbitrary shapes as labels, too, not just plain text. And of course if you have a large degree of similarity between many of your labeled objects, you can easily create a stencil for producing them with your preferred options already set.

Thanks for your suggestions, whpalmer4! I will check if this works for me.

mmirold, if those tips don't cover everything you hoped for, I just wanted to let you know that you're guaranteed a response from someone on the OmniGraffle team if you send email to omnigraffle@omnigroup.com; we collectively browse the forums as we're able, but email and phone support have kept us pretty busy since OmniFocus for iPad launched. :-)