The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Understanding the Availability Filter Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am trying to understand that availability filter. I have set up several bills that have to be paid each month, with a start date of the beginning of the month, and a due date by the end of the month. My intention was to just check off each one as I processed it.

When I do this, and have the availability filter set to available, none of them show up in context. If I set the filter to remaining everything shows up, even ones who's start date hasn't been met. Obviously it's not working as I'd hoped.

Can someone point me to a good description of what will show up for the various settings as it relates to dates?

---

Never mind, I'm just brain dead. I realized I was entering the wrong dates.

It sounds as if you have solved the immediate problem.

In case anyone else comes to this thread seeking clarity about the fairly complex Availability filter, the following definition can be found in a draft FAQ at http://bit.ly/OF-QL.
Available: Tasks which are neither waiting their turn in a sequential project, nor already completed, nor deferred by a future start date (either of their own or inherited from a project or Single Action list), nor out of action because their project or context is on hold or dropped.
More formally, using terms from the Applescript library:
[Available]->(blocked is false) and (completed is false) and ((start date is missing value) or (start date < now)) and ((its containing project is missing value) or (status of its containing project is active) and ((start date of its containing project < now) or (start date of its containing project is missing value))) and ((its context is missing value) or ((allows next action of its context is true) and (hidden of its context is false)))