The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniWeb 6.0 - The Wish List Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Not trivial at all as no sidebars in the OS have one - it would have to be hand coded and does not come for free from the OS.
I don't think those sidebars are a feature provided by the OS in the first place. In Mail, it's a custom NSView (I had a look at its nib files). In iTunes it's implemented some other way (iTunes is Carbon, doesn't have nib files).

In any case, it is quite trivial to create a scrolling view within a window (a matter of drag and drop in Interface Builder), and it is extremely simple to get the scrollbar to display at all times.

Here's the explanation from Apple's developer documentation for NSScrollView:

To make sure the scroller is visible, invoke the setHasVerticalScroller: method with an argument of YES.

And here's how we make it blue:

- (void)setBackgroundColor:(NSColor *)aColor

Doesn't seem too difficult to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
FWIW, you can just restore your Workspace snapshot to recover the size of your drawer.
Not too useful. That also replaces the contents of all your tabs (and even if the ones in the snapshots happen to be the exact pages you're viewing, it still reloads them all). That's even more hassle than just resizing it back manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
That's assuming you don't accidentally resize it the way you do with your drawers :p
Not a problem, because you can only resize a sidebar with the little gripper in the header/footer, or by very carefully placing your cursor on the 1px divider line. I have never, ever accidentally changed the width of my sidebar in Mail or iTunes. But it does happen once in awhile with OW's tab drawer, and is annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Good point about there being more room, but the consequence is that there is a miniscule target for resizing the sidebar
Not at all. Just put a little gripper on the same little header or footer bar that has the tab view mode buttons and action menu. This would look quite lovely if done in the same style as Mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
FWIW, the blue background is pretty indistinct on my PowerBook LCD.
I find it very easy to tell the difference on my PowerBook display (the October 2005 PowerBook G4, 15"). If I look at it from an extreme viewing angle, the sidebar background becomes lighter than the white content area, and at a very specific point in between, the sidebar and content area appear equally light (but are still separated by a very obvious black border). At all normal viewing angles, it looks quite distinct, and in any case the border always clearly separates it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Something for Apple to fix if they can be bothered, but I suspect that OmniGroup aren't even going to have the option of retaining drawers in the future as Apple is probably going to ban them.
Think so? I can't see that happening. A lot of programs use them. I've not heard anything about Apple wanting to phase them out either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Try using Safaristand for a while if you haven't already.
I hadn't, so I checked it out. It has a lot of nice little features. Bit sloppy and unpolished though. Seems to be no way to use the sidebar without also having the regular tabs visible. I like that you can change the thumb size, and actually, I just thought of another idea for tabs:

OW could optionally start reducing the height (but not the width) of tab thumbnails if you start creating more than can fit into your drawer/sidebar. Once you have enough that the thumbnails would be useless, it could automatically change them into text-only tabs. If you open so many tabs that they won't all fit even as text, they could simply become smaller (by reducing the vertical padding). Obviously some people wouldn't want this, so it would be optional, but I'd find it quite handy myself, and could potentially solve the problem of needing a scrollbar in the sidebar at all.

While there are some irrefutable reasons to keep the drawer as an option, I think the sidebar idea is quite viable and I'm sure many people would prefer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortig
If I had to say anything about RSS Support, I would say "more like NetNewsWire" not Safari :(
Same to me. I looked over Safari RSS a couple of time, I definitely stick with NNW.

Something that would definitely differentiates Omniweb: actual RSS export. For RSS export only export the OPML, that is, the links, not the content. What if you want to save your 3-year old worth of RSS? For now, you can't, period. I know no RSS reader out there that allows you to do so (I proposed this to NNW, I don't know if they are planning it, although they looked interested).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild
  • Auto-save (to local temporary files) while typing in a textarea. […]
Also useful combined with undoclosetabs. Yesterday I lost an article that way.

Opera is able to search in forms. This is very useful for a writer looking for a word (or an unbalanced tag) on his blog. Prior to this, I had to select the form, select all, copy, open a text editor, paste and, finally, search (granted, the text editor also has syntax colouring).

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Latapie
Opera is able to search in forms. This is very useful for a writer looking for a word (or an unbalanced tag) on his blog. Prior to this, I had to select the form, select all, copy, open a text editor, paste and, finally, search (granted, the text editor also has syntax colouring).

One can do this in the zoomed text editor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
One can do this in the zoomed text editor.
Thanks for the tip (I love to possibility to use tabs in the zoomed text editor), but this is only marginaly better than using a external text editor. Plus, it would not be compatible with incremental search, another widely requested feature, said to be on target once OW 5.5 will be released.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip (I love to possibility to use tabs in the zoomed text editor), but this is only marginaly better than using a external text editor. Plus, it would not be compatible with incremental search, another widely requested feature, said to be on target once OW 5.5 will be released.
Ok. I was just posting a current solution to the issue you cited. IMHO, it's only two clicks different than just searching the page. That's a lot different than using an external editor.

Quote:
I love to possibility to use tabs in the zoomed text editor
You can actually do this without opening the zoomed text editor. Just press control-tab.

Another RSS-related request: I'd like a preference to specify which bookmarks folder new RSS feeds get added to. I keep all my RSS subscriptions in a particular bookmarks folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild
You can actually do this without opening the zoomed text editor. Just press control-tab.
Well, I don’t know what to say. Say, “thank you” is a start :-)