The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

multi context or tags Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The easiest way to implement multiple contexts would be with the use of tags. if you want Ominfocus to implement this, please contact them and let them know.

This would make it so much more useful IMO

+1. I just posted here on this, although I'm afraid that I don't share your faith GeoffAirey that there's any point in contacting Omni. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffAirey View Post
The easiest way to implement multiple contexts would be with the use of tags. if you want Ominfocus to implement this, please contact them and let them know.

This would make it so much more useful IMO
Personally, I don't care how Omni implements support for > 1 context per task support as long as it allows me to use OF efficiently and effectively. If that's via tags, fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
+1. I just posted here on this,
Also WRT tags, perhas see the last few posts here ... http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...t=24207&page=3

and the much earlier reference here ... http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...light=metatags

Quote:
... although I'm afraid that I don't share your faith GeoffAirey that there's any point in contacting Omni. :(
AFAIK, OG always encourages that you contact them via direct feedback/email to add your request to their list.

--
JJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJWMac View Post
AFAIK, OG always encourages that you contact them via direct feedback/email to add your request to their list.
You're right Doc, they do, but I once started a thread pointing out it's a futile exercise. Mods or features reach the top of the list, we get the "we're going to do it", etc. comments from the OmniFolk and years-and-years-and-years go by and nothing happens. Nada. IMHO it's a waste of time. Sad.

Quote:
... I once started a thread pointing out it's a futile exercise. Mods or features reach the top of the list, we get the "we're going to do it", etc. comments from the OmniFolk and years-and-years-and-years go by and nothing happens. Nada. IMHO it's a waste of time. Sad.
This is not really equivalent to my experiences so far, but then YMMV.

Quote:
You're right Doc, they do, but I once started a thread pointing out it's a futile exercise. Mods or features reach the top of the list, we get the "we're going to do it", etc. comments from the OmniFolk and years-and-years-and-years go by and nothing happens. Nada. IMHO it's a waste of time. Sad.
So how do you explain the recent flexible weekly repeats feature? Do you think that would have happened if everyone took your approach instead?

As a very conservative estimate, I've sent in over 1,000 pieces of feedback (there are over 2,500 messages sent to @omnigroup.com, not including the send-to-omnifocus address, and most of the reports do not spawn extended conversations). Many of them are bug reports, but plenty are feature requests. The ones asking for incremental improvements get done enough that I conclude that either the feedback system works, or I only have great ideas that someone at Omni has also had and got approval to implement. I think the former is more likely, but it doesn't matter. I can't see how telling them what I want could possibly be less effective than not telling them what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
So how do you explain the recent flexible weekly repeats feature?
OK, so how do you explain:

Tags:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
We still plan to do it...
(2009-06-11)

Document Interchange:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Document Interchange is definitely something I would like to do...
(2010-07-27)

Text Expander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I can't make specific product or scheduling promises, but I can tell you that it is one of the more frequent feature requests against both the iPhone and iPad apps...
(2010-12-08)

Look at the dates, whpalmer4, these are from years-and-years ago. Where are they?

How about some basic import/export functions? Add a contact to an action? The ability to search in the notes field? Email out from iPhone? Move sans desktop? etc. etc. ad nauseum

None of these things affect the principles of OF. I suppose it's entirely possible that the majority of users are stuck out in the sticks with only the cat for company. However, for some of us, integration, communication and delegation are a serious part of getting things done. OG can't even be bothered to integrate StOF into their own apps!

I'm not a hater, just disappointed that what I'd hoped would be the nexus of productivity seems permanently stuck in an isolated quagmire of half-finished, poorly implemented, mish-mash of 'features'.

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2012-05-23 at 04:24 AM..

Quote:
OK, so how do you explain:
Look at the dates, whpalmer4, these are from years-and-years ago. Where are they?
Notice also that none of these examples mention a specific date or time. Driving a high performance BMW on a test-course race track is certainly something I "... would like to do ..." since ... about when I was 18 years old. Gosh, so shoot me if that does not happen in the next three weeks or three months!

Consider also that OG has multiple products, not just OF. Compare this with how long CC took just to implement sync in Things. Note that it was their top request for ... ages ... and Things is their ONLY product.

Finally, my thought (and supported understanding) is, adding such features is easier to do when starting from a rebuild -- OF 2. Consider other examples of the long development times needed while delaying the implementation of otherwise highly requested features such as with the current ground-up rebuilds for Curio 8 (Zengobi) and Igor Pro 7 (Wavemetrics) ... both are now over a year still in the making, with projected releases for later this year or beyond. Me personally ... I prefer this path (with the same level of responsive customer support in both cases) than the (imaginary) counter example ... Firefox 15, 16, and 17 in a sequential three day period just to provide bug fixes.

In a nutshell ... the examples you provided and the counter evidence above suggest that you belay the otherwise harsh critic given previously. It is clearly unfair to suggest, in essence, because you do not get what you want when you want it, making feature requests to OG is a futile effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJWMac View Post
It is clearly unfair to suggest, in essence, because you do not get what you want when you want it, making feature requests to OG is a futile effort.
I honestly disagree. If years-and-years go by, and you still find your attachments stuck in an iPhone because OmniFolk can't be bothered to implement basic iOS features, it is futile.

I've often wondered what PC users do?!