The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Ical event sync with automated alarm function or an internal alarm function. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by narvik04 View Post
thanks for your postings.
I will try to go with growl for a while. But for the future I am looking for that feature of simple pop up reminder like in ical. Maybe I got to switch to another task management software, but this would be sad.
If somebody got the link to the omnifocus to ical event alarm script, it would be nice posting it. When I ll find it, I ll let you know.
This is a long-running discussion, and one where Omni is on record as saying they think the status quo is what they feel is appropriate, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a built-in pop up service like in iCal. I have to say that looking at my actions, there isn't a simple rule of thumb for how I would want to be notified, possibly because most of them are not of the form "at 3pm, call Fred". That's clearly an easy notification to do, but what is the notification for "stuff pinata full of candy and toys by party time"?

The script is at http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...5309#post55309

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I have to say that looking at my actions, there isn't a simple rule of thumb for how I would want to be notified, possibly because most of them are not of the form "at 3pm, call Fred". That's clearly an easy notification to do, but what is the notification for "stuff pinata full of candy and toys by party time"?
I agree, not ALL tasks should utilize this type of notification. As well, this is why the current use of Growl doesn't work for those wanting this type of notification. Rather, I'd like to see a new, optional, field such as Due Time. Only if this is set would it create an iCal entry. By doing so, the true GTDers are happy and the people who need a subset of tasks to popup alarms are happy. Again, I think iCal should be the mechanism used alarms. In doing so it allows for notifications when I'm away from my computer.

Here is my reply to another thread on this topic in the iPhone area.

Rather than add a layer with iCal, I would prefer to see Omni add an SMS notification feature, similar to Jott, directly to the OF client.

I've submitted a feature request on this and suggested that a notification check box and perhaps amount of time before due to be notified, could be added to the date area on the action inspector to enable a reminder.

The cell number to use for SMS notifications could be entered in preferences for use whenever a notification is enabled. John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbkendrick View Post
Rather than add a layer with iCal, I would prefer to see Omni add an SMS notification feature, similar to Jott, directly to the OF client.
SMS would be cool, but what if your system running OF is asleep in your laptop bag, etc.? Or are you talking about a hosted Omni server handling this? I don't see that happening.

No, I didn't expect a server handling the notifications. My situation may be a bit different than most. OF is running on my iMac at home most of the time and syncing every hour with my laptop that I carry with me. In fact the laptop is on during my work hours as well, so I would normally have a client running to handle notifications. I understand not everyone would be so fortunate. John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbkendrick View Post
By the way, you don't have to wait for this feature: you can do this right now by turning on SMS notifications in Growl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
By the way, you don't have to wait for this feature: you can do this right now by turning on SMS notifications in Growl.
Actually, there's more to it than that.

You also have to set up and maintain an account with a company who charges you for every SMS you send.

Its just as easy for me to check my iphone or computer periodically instead of having to maintain another account and another layer of complexity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellmatrix View Post
You also have to set up and maintain an account with a company who charges you for every SMS you send.
What I personally use for SMS notifications is AT&T's free email-to-SMS gateway at txt.att.net: you can configure Growl to send email to an address like 2065551234@txt.att.net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
What I personally use for SMS notifications is AT&T's free email-to-SMS gateway at txt.att.net: you can configure Growl to send email to an address like 2065551234@txt.att.net.
That's pretty nifty, thanks! However, I wouldn't want any and all tasks that become due to nag me. Rather I'd like to set only those that are due by a certain time of day.

For example, I would like a notification for "Call Mom" at 3pm but not for "Install latest updates on Mom's computer".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs226 View Post
For example, I would like a notification for "Call Mom" at 3pm but not for "Install latest updates on Mom's computer".
"Call Mom at 3" really isn't an OmniFocus task at all.

OF was never meant to be your only time/task manager – it is intended to be used for the things that can't be put on a calendar. OF and (your favorite calendar app) are supposed to be used together, with the calendar for stuff that is glued to a specific time and OF for things that really don't have a date/time.

So, in my case "take Daughter for high school tour" is a calendar item, but "re-write paper about daughter for high school teachers" is an OF item. The first can't be done at any time except Thursday at 2:30, the latter can be done any time before August.

I know it feels like a pain to divide out lives into two products, but that is the way OF is intended to work, and the way the developer ninjas will be improving OF.