The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Calendar view? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there an option of displaying a calendar view with items' due dates/times visible so I can schedule my due dates in a manner that doesnt overwhelm me?

Thanks,

Dev

Hi, first post.

+1, this calendar view could be something i would enjoy too without having to switch between OF & iCal.

+1 and then some. I think there's huge scope for calendar integration of all kinds - I could go on about it for hours, but won't ;)

Mark

(Remember to send your requests for a calendar to the Omni team.)

I'd also like the calendar to be available in the sidebar, so you can drag & drop items from the Perspective to set their due dates.

YES YES YES! Please do this, Omnigroup! Readers, be advised that your vote counts, when people chime in, OG listens.

This has been discussed several times in the past on this forum, often with participation from the Omni Group. Here's a good place to start reading about some of the relevant issues and opinions:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=2533

As Brian mentions in the last post of that thread, the best way to "vote" for a new feature is to email the Omni Group by using Help -> Send Feedback from within OmniFocus. I'm not sure casting +1 votes on the forum does much other than decrease the signal-to-noise ratio.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by devbowman View Post
Is there an option of displaying a calendar view with items' due dates/times visible so I can schedule my due dates in a manner that doesnt overwhelm me?
Why are you scheduling your due dates at all?

I ask this in all seriousness. One of the most liberating aspects of Getting Things Done for me has been the idea that due dates are only for those things where you have made a commitment to someone (which might be yourself) to do something by a given date. Everything else should have no due date, but you should review all your actions and projects regularly so you can keep tabs on what you have promised to yourself and others to do and assess whether you're actually making progress toward doing them.

If I've made promises to 25 people to have something done by August 31, no calendar tool in the world will help me organize those due dates--they're all due August 31. I can use OmniFocus's current view bar to see that, and to plan my work for the next three weeks so I can get it done. But I see no need to give myself due dates unless they're externally imposed (obviously, if I want to reserve dinner for Wednesday night, I'd better do so by Wednesday afternoon, possibly earlier depending on the restaurant). Rather, I review my projects, decide what is important to get done, and do it. Otherwise, given how much I want to do, I would spend a good chunk of my day moving overdue items to new due dates! :-)

To be truly workable, a calendar system would also need to account for the amount of time and effort each project would require. Then you're moving into project management application territory, not personal to-do list territory (i.e., OmniPlan, not OmniFocus).

I'm in general agreement on the "don't schedule due dates unless they are real" notion. The problem that I have is in assessing whether I can reasonably take on another project if it has some sort of deadline or schedule attached. That's definitely a GTD skill that could use some more development in my case! I have yet to envision a tool that could really help me with that problem without having a lot of overhead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I'm in general agreement on the "don't schedule due dates unless they are real" notion. The problem that I have is in assessing whether I can reasonably take on another project if it has some sort of deadline or schedule attached. That's definitely a GTD skill that could use some more development in my case! I have yet to envision a tool that could really help me with that problem without having a lot of overhead...
My only solution to that is frequent reviewing, which gives me a good sense of how I'm doing on projects that do have deadlines, and how much progress I am making on those I want to get done but don't have deadlines. If I have a handle on both, or if I can postpone something else without too much regret, then I feel I can take on a new project with a deadline.

Frequent reviews also show me those things that I think I want to get done in the abstract but always find excuses not to do when I look over my context lists. And they make it more likely that I will make a serendipitous discovery. When I run across something related to one of my projects, I'm more likely to note and capture it because the reviews help trigger recognition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
My only solution to that is frequent reviewing, which gives me a good sense of how I'm doing on projects that do have deadlines, and how much progress I am making on those I want to get done but don't have deadlines. If I have a handle on both, or if I can postpone something else without too much regret, then I feel I can take on a new project with a deadline.

Frequent reviews also show me those things that I think I want to get done in the abstract but always find excuses not to do when I look over my context lists. And they make it more likely that I will make a serendipitous discovery. When I run across something related to one of my projects, I'm more likely to note and capture it because the reviews help trigger recognition.
I'd agree with this, and add that it can be your litmus test. If you have too many projects that they would be overwhelming to review regularly, than you probably have too many projects to take on anything new :)

things to consider to make this easier.

Put projects that are on hold, on hold.

Decrease the review frequency setting of projects that are background/time available.

(PS My own review routine is far from perfect, I need to do it with more discipline)

-P
-P